Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Department / Role Overview
The Divisional Business Manager will work with and support the Corporate Division Head (DH) and Practice Heads (PHs) to implement firm and divisional strategy and to ensure the efficient operational management of the global division.
This role will assume day to day responsibility for the financial performance of the division, focusing primarily on the UK and CEMEA regions and working closely with the APAC based Lead Business Manager for Corporate.
- Maximizing financial performance, efficiency and financial discipline
- Client and matter pricing and profitability management;
- Divisional profit and loss account management
- Divisional planning, budgets and forecasting
- Provide advice on fee proposals and pitches working closely with partners, the Pricing team, Commercial Finance and Business Development teams
- Develop client commercial solution and attached client meetings/pricing negotiations as required
- Create upfront financial plans for specific legal projects, including
- Consideration of alternative pricing structures, service levels and resourcing requirements
- Monitor fee arrangements post matter inception, challenge recovery rates and assess resourcing compared to the financial plan
- Monitor financial performance across the division and advise DHs/PHs on operational issues affecting financial performance
- Monitor activity levels and advise the DH/PHs of over or under capacity in different areas of the business
- Oversee working capital exposure, working with DH and PHs and the central Financial Management team to ensure that lock-up is being managed in accordance with targets, including a particular focus on ensuring that large or old balances are being addressed
- Attend Division/practice partner meetings and ensure follow-up of agreed actions
- Work with HR team to support recruitment activity, ensuring hiring needs are justified
- Ensure proactive and effective internal communications across all groups in the Division
- Any other ad hoc duties and support as required by the DH or PHs
- Ensure that global policies and procedures are being followed and implemented within the Division
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Professional business qualification e.g. ACA, CPA or MBA
- Strong commercial financial background
- A proven track record of delivering quality analysis solutions and advice at senior management level
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and influence across all levels
- Previous experience working in a professional services/legal environment within a business partnering role would be highly desirable