Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Department / Role Overview
The global Learning and Organisational Development team is a centralised team predominantly based in the UK and Australia. The team works as one team, providing the same high quality learning experience and global offerings to our people in 31 offices around the world.
This role reports to the L&OD Professional Development EMEA/US Lead, based in London, and plays a key role in developing the capability of our people across EMEA/US and contributing to firm-wide talent and organisational development initiatives.
The L&OD team is part of the People and Culture function and is responsible for a range of learning and development programmes, projects and advisory services including business skills development for all levels from vacation clerks and trainees to partners and business services staff across the firm.
The Senior L&OD Manager needs to think strategically, but also needs the ability to pay close attention to detail to manage programmes and services across multiple levels in multiple geographies. They must have exceptional communication skills including strong facilitation and stakeholder management skills; the ability to supervise team members day to day; and the ability to work closely and collaborate with colleagues based in the APAC region.
The Senior L&OD Manager must be a team player who enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
Due to the global nature of the firm, flexibility in working hours will be required
- Contribute to the design and delivery of the firm's Ashurst Academy programmes
- Manage learning and capability development solution delivery end to end including needs analysis, design, delivery, evaluation and ongoing enhancement
- Contribute to L&OD offerings for various offices across EMEA/US
- Facilitate face-to-face and online programmes and courses for clerks, trainees, associates, business services, Ashurst Advance and Consulting & Governance staff and partners
- Contribute to the management of L&OD systems, policies and processes including CPD, regulatory compliance, accreditation, requalification and study support
- Contribute to the promotion of learning and organisational development throughout the firm
- Build and sustain productive relationships with business leaders and stakeholders to support the efficient and effective operation of the L&OD function
- Provide consultancy and advisory services to the business on L&OD matters
- Assist practice, business services and adjacent services teams with their learning and organisational development activities as appropriate
- Deliver client training as appropriate
- Contribute to L&OD projects and broader People & Culture or firm projects and initiatives
- Contribute to relevant administration of the function including learning records, budgeting, communications and reporting as required
- Supervise junior team members
- Identify and liaise with internal faculty/SMEs and external providers for L&OD activities and negotiate cost-effective services and fees as appropriate
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strong facilitation and training delivery experience - both face to face and online
- Significant experience in learning programme design and delivery to wide audiences
- Experience in building blended learning solutions and applying innovative thinking
- Professional services, corporate or legal education experience preferred
- Ability to design programmes, initiatives and material in consultation with business leaders and subject matter experts
- Ability to provide ongoing reporting and analysis on learning activities
- Ability to manage budget for learning programmes
- Experience in providing learning and development contribution to organisational and culture change programmes
- Adept at building rapport and building effective working relationships with people at different levels.
- Displays emotional maturity and good judgment with the ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Proactive with excellent organisational skills - able manage competing priorities and work to tight deadlines
- Ability to drive projects in a proactive manner and communicate effectively with stakeholders through project lifecycle
- Able to work collaboratively in a geographically dispersed team
- Able to effectively supervise and support the development of junior team members
Desired Skills and Experience
- Qualifications in adult education
- Extensive experience as an L&OD professional including experience in senior roles with responsibility for managing programmes and initiatives for senior stakeholders such as directors and partners
- Accreditation in psychometric tools (eg Facet5) highly regarded
- Coaching qualifications and experience