Allen & Overy is the world's leading Projects, Energy and Infrastructure practice. With over 70 partners and 250 lawyers worldwide, we have, since 2000, consistently closed more project finance deals globally than any other law firm and are an acknowledged market leader in the infrastructure acquisition space.
We advise the most sophisticated sponsors, project and construction companies, debt providers and governments across a wide array of sectors, including all aspects of renewables, power generation (thermal & nuclear) and transmission, social infrastructure, transport, telecommunications, waste & water, mining and natural resources and oil & gas (upstream, midstream and downstream).
We provide our clients with a totally integrated service on all aspects of projects and acquisition work in both the primary and secondary markets, drawing on and marshalling Allen & Overy’s specialist skills in relation to, among other things, project development, deal-structuring, bankability, equity strategy, debt financing and refinancing (including bank, private placement capital markets, ECA and multilateral), hedging, contracts, construction and regulatory compliance.
The group is currently recruiting for mid-level associates with a broad skill base and relevant sector experience. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a strong track record in project development including construction, and/or project finance.
We are looking for someone with experience of EPC, PPAs, other revenue contracts, concessions, and other commercial contracts, preferably in a project finance context. Strong project docs experience in all or some of the aforementioned, with a focus on actual greenfield project development matters (preference for sponsor side experience, but experience advising lenders, governments and contractors (in that order) is also helpful).
All aspects of new energy projects (e.g. hydrogen, carbon capture etc), renewables, power generation (thermal & nuclear) and transmission, transport, waste & water, mining and natural resources and oil & gas (upstream, midstream and downstream) are of interest and experience in hydrogen, carbon capture and midstream O&G would be ideal.
• Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Partners, Associates, Trainees and support staff
• Business development team
• The wider A&O fee-earning community across key departments (especially corporate and capital markets) and overseas offices
Role and responsibilities
• Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
• Providing strategic guidance to clients through strong market awareness and an understanding of key objectives
• Managing client expectations, deadlines and project delivery appropriately
• Collaborating across teams, departments and jurisdictions in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
• Matter (or sub-section) management and maximising financial contribution
• Leadership and supervision of junior team members
• Recognising opportunities for business development, assistance with and implementation of group and firm-wide business development strategies
• Proactive engagement with clients both on and off deal with a view towards building and maintaining strong client relationships
• Legal and sector knowledge development and sharing (internally and externally)
• Assisting with billing activities and timely invoicing
• Qualified lawyer ideally 3–5 PQE within a complex international organisation
• Outstanding academic credentials
• Resilient self-starter with the intellectual curiosity and versatility to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
• Experience in at least one of:
• Project development related work
• Project finance related work; or
• Infrastructure acquisition work
• Evidence of a keen interest in Projects, Energy and Infrastructure allied to strong technical knowledge across multiple disciplines
• Highly motivated team player with excellent organisational skills
• Clear and concise verbal and written communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills and a good eye for detail
• Entrepreneurial drive
• Strong commercial/business acumen
• Clear understanding of law firm economics and an understanding of the firm's strategic priorities
• A person of sound judgement and core values, able to establish a high level of credibility
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work.
Our culture is one of high-performance and we have high expectations of one another, in everything we do. Being a proud team player is essential. We work together, listen and learn from one another and achieve results we could never achieve on our own. When you join our team, you’ll become part of a flexible, inclusive environment underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and we’re working hard to create an environment where you can bring your authentic self to work. We know that to excel, we must nurture an environment where our people feel they belong.