The Employment Group is a large prominent player with an imposing footprint across the globe, complex and fast paced. The International Employment MBD team underpins the Group’s success through a wide range of high profile campaigns, go-to-market across the sub-groups (including but not limited to, Pensions), events and client development activity.
The International Employment MBD team provides the operational and strategic hub for the Group – helping partners and senior lawyers to attract and retain profitable client relationships, managing its market profile and developing a sense of community within the Group in order to build strong and cohesive client teams. The International Employment MBD team forms part of a larger International MBD team based in locations across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. The team also works closely with US and LatAm based Marketing counterparts.
This role will lead and support a broad range of areas to help the firm and Group enhance its profile with clients, in the market generally, and win profitable business.
Occasional travel is a requirement of the role.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with partners and senior lawyers in order to develop and action strategic business development initiatives; including the execution of subgroup implementation plans, maintaining and progressing the infrastructure (regular calls etc.) required to deliver these plans and help lead all supporting activity
- Work on key client relationships and client targeting programmes in particular with a view to cross-selling opportunities within the Group and the wider firm
- Work with our international teams to deliver complex internal MBD strategy events and client conferences
- Report on results and ROI
- Levarge the power of our internal systems, utilising data analystics, to provide a smarter marketing & BD service and experience to the Group
- Work closely in conjunction with our Knowledge team in the identification of issues affecting clients and consider how to bring related thought leadership and client alerts to our market place
- Create and execute targeted marketing campaigns and deliver engagements/events designed to raise our profile and win new business in specific focus areas
- Manage the production of client content from concept through to distribution
- Work closely with the digital marketing team to create and manage content for digital channels, in particular profile of our subject matter experts
- Work with partners and the PR team to manage relationships with the media and proactively seek out the most appropriate press coverage
- Advise on pitch strategy, help prepare pitch documents, manage rehearsals for new business pitches and perform pitch debriefs
- Input / lead on Employment pitches and those coordinated by the firm’s central pitch team
- Arrange insightful research on companies, industries and countries
- Coordinate and add value to the main legal directories and awards
- Identify and organise networking and profile raising opportunities for the lawyers with clients and prospects
- Organisational support for internal group conferences.
In order to deliver the areas of key responsibility identified above, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Identify information requirements and manage projects
- Evaluate and present information to demonstrate business advantage
- Contribute information and ideas to the marketing strategy
- Create competitive and effective operational and communication plans
- Manage and maintain competitive products/services or portfolios and develop them to meet future business needs
- Establish and develop effective support for channels to market
- Manage and report on project delivery against plans, budgets and objectives
- Use information on marketing systems to make strategic decisions and identify design requirements
- Measure the effectiveness of marketing activities
- Help create and build effective products / services and competitive brands
- Encourage and help others develop their competencies relevant to their marketing role
- Embrace change – influence others to modify their behaviours and attitudes where necessary
- Build relationships with other functions and disciplines within DLA Piper
- Be involved in activity which promotes the overall well-being and/or standing of the business; evaluate ethical codes to ensure marketing activities are compliant
- Develop and manage budgets demonstrating analytical skills to interpret financial information
The job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time.
The successful candidate must have:
- Manager level experience ideally with experience of working internationally
- A Degree or equivalent qualification
- A high level of written and oral communication skills. In addition you will be expected to have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and persuade senior legal and client personnel
- The ability to display a consistently positive and proactive attitude and demonstrate a collaborative working style; operating both as an individual and as part of a wider team
- A deep knowledge of marketing & BD processes for professional services – a sound understanding of new business processes, digital marketing, CRM and the emerging technologies that will help us win and retain legal work
- An exemplary professional approach and demonstrably high levels of commitment and internal client care
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Demonstrable experience in demanding, partner-led international environments, where success has depended on an ability to:
- multi-task and work to deadlines
- manage conflicting priorities and expectations in a robust and fast-paced atmosphere
- perform at a consistently high standard
- remain calm and composed in what are often demanding situations
- see delegated tasks through to completion at a high standard
- work confidently with a shared service centre and digital briefing that is required
- A proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information
- High level of literacy in IT and marketing systems – Excel, Word and Outlook is essential; experience of InterAction / CRM and design software would be beneficial
- Sales techniques and coaching skills
- Ability to understand and identify with the firm, its objectives and values
This job description is not designed to be exhaustive and can be varied, as required, to develop, or fulfil, the role.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.