We are seeking an experienced individual to form part of the firm’s global Data Privacy Team and support all aspects of the work of the firm’s Chief Privacy Officer as an In-House Lawyer - Data Privacy. It is a broad, fast paced, and challenging privacy role. You will carry out tasks which draw on a wide skillset. The role would be suited to lawyers of 1 to 4 years PQE.
The mission of the Data Privacy Team is to foster a strong culture of data protection compliance throughout A&O while providing pragmatic and business-focussed advice in a highly regulated area. The Data Privacy Team advises on data privacy and information security issues affecting A&O, including:
- The creation and maintenance of a global programme of measures and documentation designed to ensure on-going compliance with privacy laws globally
- The legal aspects of information security and data management to meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Incident response and remediation
- Dealing with individual rights requests
- Data export restrictions and data localisation requirements with a view to preserving international data flows
- Working closely with fee earners, IT and others on technology and data innovations to ensure privacy and information security by design
- Devising and delivering the firm’s privacy training programmes
- Advising on, and ensuring compliance with, applicable regulatory reporting requirements.
Role and responsibilities
- Assisting in the support and maintenance of the existing global programme of measures designed to comply with privacy laws globally.
- Helping to manage, support and deliver a global programme of work designed to comply with recent changes to European data protection law.
- Working closely with a range of stakeholders on technology and data innovations to help ensure good data handling practices and privacy by design.
- Maintaining and operate the firm’s specialist privacy software/dashboard.
- Helping gather and analyse data to support the work of the Data Privacy Team
- Conducting data privacy impact assessments, including in relation to software, systems and processes
- Establishing and maintain good relations with key stakeholders globally to help support and roll out changes to the privacy compliance programme.
- Advising and guide colleagues across the firm on privacy and data protection issues and policies
- Developing and deliver training and communication plans in order to bring about/embed change.
- Creating content for and deliver presentations and reports.
- Helping to create and maintain policies, guidance and pro-forma documentation in connection with data protection compliance within the firm.
- Qualified lawyer with demonstrable experience advising on data privacy and data handling issues, including in the context of commercial contracts.
- An enthusiasm for technology and the ability to understand, explain and advise on technical processes using business-friendly language.
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office suite of applications and other software, such as eDiscovery or other specialist software)
- Experience of dealing with and advising a wide range of business stakeholders in determining requirements and priorities, as well as resolving issues
- A proven ability to work independently and proactively and to manage and prioritise a busy workload.
- Self-motivation and the ability to manage new and varied challenges.
- Excellent attention to detail; and
- A collaborative approach and the ability to work well in a small team and on cross-departmental projects.
- Experience in providing directive and pragmatic advice on data privacy, information security and data handling issues.
- A relevant data privacy qualification such as CIPP/E and/or CIPM
- Experience of working in an international corporate or professional services environment
- Experience of working in a risk function or equivalent
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.