Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com.
The People & Culture (P&C) function is focused on advancing Ashurst through purpose driven transformation strategies to attract, retain and enable market leading talent, assisting individuals and the firm to reach their full potential.
The function comprises P&C business partnering teams - managed regionally across UK/EMEA, Australia, Asia and US - and Centres of Excellence (CoE's) - Learning & Organisational Development, Reward, Diversity, Partnership Office and Resourcing - operated globally. These teams work closely together to provide a global, seamless People & Culture service delivery across the firm.
- Provide advice, guidance and support to business leaders and the People and Culture business partners on Employee Relations and employment issues, as required
- Project manage the firm's global strategy relating to Employee Relations in line with local legislative requirements and best practice
- Maintain an active community of Business Leaders that lead our internal Employee Relations processes, ensuring best practice and knowledge sharing
- Upskill and develop Employee Relations knowledge and understanding of risks across the firm, (People & Culture teams, business stakeholders etc).
Essential skills and experience
Conflict resolution and case management
- Oversees and provide ER support on complex investigations, including identifying internal or external support to carry out the investigation if required, and working closely with the Office of General Counsel before and during the conduct of any investigation to ensure compliance with regulatory obligations and any issues which could give rise to a claim are addressed (including, potentially obtaining external legal advice).
- Advises on and provide a range of resolutions in relation to restructures, redundancies and process reviews
- Manages appeals in line with the firm's policies and legal framework
- Provides advice and input as required to support Employee Relations policies being implemented and operated by Business Partners and firm leaders in a respectful, consistent and values aligned way to support the firm's objectives.
- Conducts protected conversations and settlement negotiations, including advising the Partners on appropriate compensation for negotiations and liaising with solicitors. Working with the Official of General Counsel and any external counsel in relation to the conduct of any defence to employment claims.
- Governance and risk management oversight on Employee Relations and change matters, including authorisation for dismissals and requests from the business that are outside our internal policy and practices
- Manages our risk, assessing and judging non-financial as well as financial outcomes
Policy and process development
- Develops protocols to proactively build trust across our firm that inappropriate behaviour in the workplace will be addressed through effective governance processes, best practice protocols and cultural change.
- Assesses and advises to ensure that individuals are treated in a fair and consistent manner across the firm and are treated with respect
- Provides advice and input as required to support long term sickness absence processes are followed and that impacted people are treated in line with the firm's values
- Develops and supports the implementation of practices to ensure accurate record keeping, data management and formal records produced as and when necessary in a timely manner according to policy and procedures, and legal obligations
Advisory and stakeholder management
- Provides clear, robust and commercial technical advice to key stakeholders, especially the Global General Counsel and the Chief People Officer
- Develops strong consultative relationships with key stakeholders, Strategic Business Partners, ASC people and the wider People and Culture team to deliver pro-active and commercial solutions, focusing on client needs and business drivers
- Manages and maintains relationship with the firm's employment lawyers, occupational health provider, and income protection provider as appropriate in collaboration with the Director of Reward.
- In conjunction with key stakeholders, considers future issues and plans and delivers pre-emptive support such as culture change management, people manager up-skilling and on-going coaching
- Keeps up to date with employment legislation making recommendations for any required changes to ensure the firm's approach aligns with our strategic aspirations, culture and values and regulatory requirements.
- Develops and maintains acceptable levels of Employee Relations technical knowledge of the People and Culture business partner team, supporting them in dealing with formal and informal grievance and conflict situations in line with the firm's policies and the legal framework
- Proactively supports the culture of continuous improvement and initiatives, including managing or leading projects as and when required
- Provides a consistent culture of excellence, ensuring their work contributes to delivering the firm's strategy
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.