We are currently recruiting for an AI & Tech, Policy and Communications Senior Manager on a six month contract basis.
The business development, marketing and communications team is integral to the setting and achievement of the firm’s global client strategy, which includes guiding the partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming the clients’ trusted advisers, building and maintaining long-lasting, deep institutional client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm globally, and positioning the firm as the thought leader and most advanced law firm among the global elite law firms. The function works as one team across the globe with very close collaboration between the central groups, such as communications, and the professionals working in local offices, practice groups, sectors and clients.
A&O is the world’s leading AI advisory firm. But there’s more to do and further to go. This would be a broad role, supporting (and providing a bridge for) Marketing, the Markets Innovation Group (MIG), and the AI Group to help shape, develop, and deliver on our AI Strategy. This role would also support the Head of Corporate Communications in developing the firm’s policy efforts as a whole.
- Partner and Head of MIG/AI Group
- Head of Corporate Communications
- Global Head of Sector BD (Tech)
- The AI Group partners
Role and responsibilities
- Continue to lead on the development and implementation of our AI communications strategy and messaging; acting as a bridge between MIG, AI Group and marketing to ensure that AI strategy is implemented and cascaded across the business and that all functions are pulling in the same direction to maximise benefit to the business.
- Continue to lead on AI external communications - liaising with journalists; ensuring media coverage; managing reputational risks; briefing global partners for interviews; overseeing all global communications teams in their AI communications efforts.
- Continue to lead in researching and drafting (alongside legal teams, ,Knowledge Lawyers and the content team) materials for the AI website, thought leadership for partners, and other AI-related content, including support of current ContractMatrix.
- Support MIG, AI Group and wider business with development of all AI-related marketing materials to ensure speedy, high quality delivery - drafting where necessary, briefing design teams, liaising with content and digital teams, etc.
Policy and public affairs
- Support AI Group partners to shape and implement our UK, EU and global AI policy efforts.
- Research, monitor, analyse and respond to relevant policy and regulatory updates - prepare briefings, support on consultation responses. Help partners to stay abreast of fast-moving policy and regulatory developments.
- Support partners with UK regulators, DCMS, BEIS and HM Treasury, help in building and managing relationships and programmes.
- Support Head of Corporate Communications and other partners in policy work for the firm.
- Support AI Group, MIG, and any A&O business teams in their development of ethical AI frameworks and policies that we can both deliver to clients and use ourselves.
- Help to prepare communications to clients on our responsible AI usage and deployment.
- Stay on top of use cases within the business (e.g. HR, martech, etc), identifying potential risk areas, supporting MIG and other expert teams in shaping the approach and principles for responsible and ethical AI deployment in particular use cases; support in developing risk-management policies and procedures for AI deployment.
- Understand and clearly communicate the ethical and responsible innovation considerations of specific use cases – taking into account the technical, legal and policy landscape.
- Ideally has either worked at a tech company or worked in a role where they focus on AI/technology
- Has some experience working with outlets like the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Wired – particularly packaging and pitching high profile exclusive stories, and managing internal demands around these stories
- Is comfortable working in fast-paced, demanding teams; taking their own initiative while being flexible, pragmatic and adaptable
- Broad experience in the strategy and delivery of best-in-class marketing and communications campaigns
- Experience managing high profile media opportunities, journalist relationships, risk management and issue-spotting
- An understanding of, and experience working in, policy and regulation in the UK and elsewhere
- Demonstrable interest in, and some experience of, the fast-evolving world of AI
- Excellent stakeholder management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.