We currently have an opportunity for an experienced marketing professional to join our London office as a BD Manager to be responsible for strategic BD support for the UK Intellectual Property (IP) practice, including working with partners on their BD plans; developing and delivering profile raising campaigns; leading on pitches relating to IP; client relationship management for key clients of the team and other ad-hoc business development support. The role is also responsible for overseeing a BD Assistant based in Belfast on day-to-day business development tasks.
Our IP team supports the world’s leading businesses to invest in and protect their global IP portfolios. They cover all of the major IP rights including patents, trademarks, copyright, designs and trade secrets, with a particular focus on IP-rich sectors such as technology and life sciences.
Role and responsibilities
- Proposals – take the lead in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for the IP team. Coach partners on their proposals and ensure that the team follows best practice. Seek client feedback and prompt lawyers to act upon this.
- Profile raising – shape and deliver market-facing campaigns to raise the profile of the IP group.
- Client account management – co-ordinate client targeting efforts across the IP group. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the IP group.
- Client listening – carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that feedback is actioned appropriately.
- Directory and award submissions – lead the response to industry award and directory submissions to achieve and maintain top rankings for the London IP group.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with lawyers and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality budget and track marketing spend against clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools. Ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure matter information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system.
- People management – responsible for overseeing a BD Assistant based in Belfast on day-to-day business development tasks.
- Substantial relevant BD and marketing experience at Manager or Senior Executive level within a professional services organisation, where the individual frequently worked with management of individual practice or service lines.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global IP practice (in terms of the market, the key players, the competition, and our legal offering). Previous IP, technology or life sciences market experience would be a plus, but is not essential.
- Proven track record of achieving product-line business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and BD colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate lawyers to engage on BD projects and to work with them to develop and implement BD plans.
- A proactive approach, balancing creativity and tenacity.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.