Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com .
Ashurst is transforming its IT target operating model and the way it delivers essential business services in support of the employee and client lifecycles, making it easier to do business with (and within) Ashurst.
The Principal Cloud Architect acts as the global IT Cloud Specialist to provide a holistic vision of the firm's product transition to cloud, whilst overseeing and evaluating the suitability of cloud computing-based solutions for IT services. As a passionate cloud advocate, you will lead the Cloud Centre of Excellence and use your Azure expertise to develop and establish global best practices.
Cloud Governance and Engineering
- Development of organisational policies, standards, guidelines, and methods for cloud-based service design
- Development of cloud-based service solutions requiring introduction of modern technologies or new uses for existing technologies.
- Evaluation of the suitability of cloud computing-based solutions for IT services considering policies, standards, cost-effectiveness, performance, and corporate strategy.
- defining the planned operation and maintenance of the solution within a production environment — include changes to services, process, organisation, and operating models as well as technology
- ensuring that existing and planned solution components are compatible with relevant architectures, strategies, policies, standards, and practices
- considering requirements for security, privacy and testing of solutions taking account of relevant architectures, strategies, policies, standards, and practices
- identifying appropriate cloud services
- developing roadmaps to migrate components to cloud services
- developing and communicating an implementation roadmap
- providing guidance and risk-based governance to support solution implementation including managing requests for changes and deviations from specifications.
- Leads and embeds a culture with high levels of psychological safety, openness, and emotional inclusivity, where people speak without fear or embarrassment about their own wellbeing or the wellbeing of a colleague.
- Challenges behaviour that is inconsistent with Ashurst values or desirable workplace behaviours and practice.
- Remains calm in the face of pressure and shows respect for the wellbeing of others.
- Contributes to the creation of a culture of open and honest communication.
- Acts as a role model regarding continuous and timely feedback to teams on a regular basis.
- Reflects on lessons learnt and implements process improvements.
- Delivers effective communication in times of ambiguity and change.
- Actively monitors the wellbeing of team members and raises any concerns in an appropriate manner.
- Leads in effective personal and team time management to deliver outcomes and enables others to do the same.
- Provides opportunity for team collaboration and delegates effectively.
- Encourages a flexible approach on hours of work where required and enable and empowers team members to do the same.
- Acts as a role model to promote and encourage new ways of working and challenges the status quo.
- Thinks strategically about applying innovative ideas and understands the associated business impact.
- Thinks differently about the best ways of achieving goals and understands the strengths and development of the team.
Client & stakeholder experience
- Leads and empowers team members to develop knowledge and understanding to deliver exceptional service.
- Proactively builds effective working relationships across business services, the firm and external clients.
- Applies strong knowledge and insight as a trusted advisor.
- Drives and builds strong and collaborative relationships and empowers teams to do the same.
- Enables effective networking across teams and projects to help deliver extraordinary outcomes.
Essential skills and experience
- Extensive in a technical leadership role working with Azure cloud platforms including an ability to demonstrate
- Planning strategically for current and future business environments and technology needs
- Expert knowledge of cloud methodologies (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and concepts such as; automation, orchestration, API management, Infrastructure as Code, DevOps
- Extensive experience working with and in depth knowledge of Azure technologies
- Develops organisational policies, standards, guidelines, and methods for cloud based service design.
- Champions the importance and value of cloud-based design principles and the selection of appropriate service design lifecycle models; whether predictive (plan-driven) approaches or more adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches.
- Drives adoption of and adherence to relevant policies, standards, strategies and architectures.
- Leads cloud-based service design activities for strategic, large and complex solution development programmes.
- Develops effective implementation and procurement strategies, consistent with specified requirements, architectures and constraints of performance and feasibility.
- Develops cloud-based service solutions requiring introduction of new technologies or new uses for existing technologies.
- Evaluates the suitability of cloud computing based solutions for IT services considering policies, standards, cost-effectiveness, performance and corporate strategy.
- Microsoft Azure and its relevant build, deployment, automation, networking and security technologies in cloud and hybrid environments.
- Understanding of Microsoft Identity and Access Management products such including Azure AD and AD B2C
- Microsoft Azure Operational and Monitoring tools, including Azure Monitor, App Insights and Log Analytics
- Knowledge of PowerShell, Git, Bicep, ARM templates and deployment automation. Recent hands-on experience with DevOps toolset
- Experienced in the design and delivery of enterprise level Highly Available solutions.
- Experience of setting up, deploying, and managing multiple environments to support agile development approaches.
- Understanding of coding best practices and modern architectural patterns, including micro services and message-driven architectures
- Design cloud security architectures and perform architecture design reviews
- Building, Supporting and Maintaining Azure Environments
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to communicate technical concepts simply and clearly to a non-technical audience
- Able to work in teams remotely in a global context
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills, with the ability to work across a number of major projects simultaneously.
- Achieved or working towards Microsoft Advanced/Expert-level certifications e.g. Solutions Architect Expert, Devops Engineer Expert
- Strong stakeholder management
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.