If you are keen to find an exciting new role where you will be part of a dynamic, forward-thinking, agile team, come and join us on our journey.
Why Michelmores? Michelmores is the destination law firm for the ambitious, the imaginative and the distinctive. We help enterprises and individuals navigate change to find a positive future.
We are a flexible, friendly and inclusive organisation with as clear a focus on fresh thinking as we have on growth and success. We value and nurture our people’s potential and inspiration and give them a creative, open and collaborative environment in which to develop a career and succeed.
We believe that whatever your legal experience, you’ll find Michelmores different. From day one we encourage our people to forge relationships and expand their understanding and knowledge of areas that interest them – developing an understanding of commercial challenges and opportunities, rather than just knowing the law. We nurture creative and commercial thinking to help in your long-term career success – it mirrors our approach to ensuring the very best outcomes for our clients too.
What sort of work? Right now, our highly regarded Commercial Team is looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Commercial lawyer to join the team as an experienced Associate or Senior Associate and to take an active role within our Technology and Innovation sector group.
Why this team? The Commercial team has a great depth of experience, advising on the full range of commercial arrangements. We operate as one team across our offices.
Key practice areas include:
- Commercial trading, including terms of supply and purchase
- IT software licences and software as service agreements
- IT system integrations
- Franchising, concessions, agency
- Managed services and outsourcing agreements
- Partnership and joint venture agreements
- International trade
- Consumer protection
- Privacy, data protection and information management
- Competition law
Many of our Commercial team are active members of our Technology & Innovation sector group. The T&I group at Michelmores consists of highly regarded specialist lawyers dedicated to advising clients on all aspects of non-contentious and contentious issues. We help tech-focused businesses to realise the potential of new technologies, to develop ideas and to make them a commercial success. Our clients are increasingly required to adapt and diversify into new business areas, while all the time complying with new regulatory requirements. Our adaptable and innovative lawyers provide expert advice and solutions to help clients meet these challenges, including in the agri-tech and smart energy sectors
We are known for being an ambitious, growing team, providing a high level of expertise and high-quality service at competitive rates, which we leverage to attract a broad, national mix of private and public sector clients.
Our Southwest and London-based practices are top ranked in Legal 500 and Chambers and you will be working with lawyers that have been highlighted as leading individuals in their field.
"Michelmores LLP ‘goes toe to toe with the London firms’ and ‘has great strength and depth, delivering sound, measured and well-structured pragmatic commercial advice’." Legal 500 UK 2023
"The ‘pragmatic, approachable and flexible’ team at Michelmores LLP advises clients in the technology sector on the entire business lifecycle, from early-stage investments through to eventual exits from the business." Legal 500 UK 2023
How do we work? We take a flexible, agile approach to working patterns. As a team we agree together on the best working arrangements that will enable each of us to provide exceptional client service, to collaborate and connect with colleagues, and to achieve the right home/work balance. Most people in the team choose to work 2-3 days a week in the office, with the balance being working from home. We pride ourselves on our high-performance culture whilst offering a good work/life balance.
Who are we looking for? We are looking for somebody who understands our values and can thrive in our culture. Working with an existing client base, the role offers the opportunity for real career progression.
We will consider lawyers who have the South West as their base (using our Bristol, Exeter or Cheltenham offices).
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least three years of post-qualified UK law firm experience in a Commercial/Technology team
- Experience of advising large corporates as well as innovative/disruptive businesses that are "scaling up"
- Experience in contributing and playing a key role in marketing initiatives and seminars (we would, ideally, like a candidate that is interested in being involved in MAINstream and/or MiVentures)
- Experience of commercial contract drafting and advice on intellectual property and data protection issues
- Experience of software licensing/IT & communications hardware/systems and/or support services agreements
- E-business, web hosting and/or developmentagreements
- Protection, management, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights
- Data protection and freedom of information laws
- Procurement Regulations
- Corporate support – undertaking due diligence from an IP, IT and data protection perspective
Other skills required include:
- Strong interpersonal skills; effective communicator at all levels (written and verbal).
- A commercial, pro-active and professional approach to work.
- Excellent organisational skills, demonstrable examples of multi-tasking and an ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Must interact well with others in a sensitive and effective way - a team player.
- Must be self-motivated, committed to working towards goals with strong enthusiasm and career commitment.
- Understand the importance of confidentiality and use of discretion. Must be flexible, successfully adapting to changing demands and conditions.
- Demonstrate self-confidence, initiative and be an innovative thinker.
- We work hard to create and sustain an open and collaborative environment. We embrace change and constantly evolve to meet our people’s diverse needs, in the same way that we help our clients to navigate and stay ahead of developments, to move forward together.
Next Steps To apply please click below or if you would like to talk to someone about the role, please call Lisa Gater in our Recruitment Team on 07355677986.
Michelmores LLP is an Equal Opportunities Employer
We do not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, marital status, age, religion, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, disability or sexual orientation in the selection, recruitment and treatment of our staff.
View our Inclusion and Belonging page for more information.
*No agencies please – any agency assistance will be via invitation only. Please note any speculative candidates submitted via agencies without invitation will not be considered as represented by that agent.