We are looking for an International Finance Accountant supporting the overseas operations.
CMS is a Future Facing firm with more than 70 offices in over 40 countries and 5,000+ lawyers worldwide. We combine deep local market understanding with a global perspective. We are passionate about building strong relationships with our clients, our people, and the communities we work in.
We take a bold, dynamic, and agile approach to ensure our clients are able to face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of working. Our aim is to inspire, impact and support our clients and our people, helping them to maximize their potential and thrive.
About the Role
The international accounting function covers the following main tasks:
- Working with the local finance teams to ensure that firm wide accounting system (3E) accurately reflects the local transactions and are suitable for inclusion in the firm wide management and UK group statutory financial statements.
- Working with the local offices to ensure that all regulatory filings are made on time and agree to local accounting records (including any reconciliations to 3E)
- Ensuring that local office processes and controls tie into best practice and are subject to a quarterly local sign off
Key tasks include
- Assisting local offices with preparation of year end accounts and working papers for audits
- Respond to adhoc financial queries by gathering and interpreting data- Management of year end audits / preparation of financial statements for international and CEE offices e.g., UK LLPs (Beijing, Dubai, Israel, Munich, Nominees, Singapore), Holborn Law, Oman, Turkish Attorney Partnership, Lau, Horton & Wise.
- Provide accounting support to overseas offices
- Calculate loan interest and posting to local ledger
- Complete month end close process of several overseas local offices
- Reconcile CEE & International 3E to local accounts * monthly / quarterly* annual financial statements
- Identify differences and understand why they arise
- Review 3E accounts * local 'accruals' basis* local statutory basis* group partnership basis * UK group stat basis
- Ensure each basis is accounted for correctly including ensuring IM adjustments are posted correctly in each book
- Manage bottom half of balance sheet* partner drawings & distributions etc are posted correctly and rolled up to current accounts* Retained earnings are allocated to partners* Action necessary postings to correct.
- Monthly review of balance sheets / P&L. Identify unusual / incorrect balances and help to correct where necessary.
- Review month end postings checklist to ensure completion by every office.
- Manage and action running list of accounting issues in each entity in conjunction with local finance teams
Working as part of a financial accounting team
Graduate level education.
A relevant professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACA, ACCA)
Strong technical accounting skills with knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP
Proficient in MS Office applications (minimum of Excel and Word)
Skills & Experience required
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate at all levels.
* Confident professional manner
* Strong analytical skills
* Grasps, retains and analyses complex information and concepts, great attention to detail.
* Deliver high quality, risk aware, pragmatic and practical advice in client friendly, jargon free language (oral and written).
* Ability to handle multiple priorities and perform accurately under time pressures and constraints.
* Sets an example by high quality of own work, consistency, enthusiasm and an open and professional attitude throughout the workplace.
* Plan, organises and prioritises very well; works to given timeframes; responds promptly to administrative tasks.
* Identify issues, risks and conflicts at an early stage, seeking assistance as necessary.
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We're diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive. For further information about CMS' diversity initiatives and programmes, please view the Diversity & Inclusion pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.