Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com.
We are proud to have beeninvolved in some of the highest-profile and most innovative real estate finance transactions in the market. We advise some of the world's leading financial institutions, sponsors, investors and asset managers, across the full spectrum of assets and transactiontypes.
We firmly believe that the best results come from bringing together bright, passionate and enthusiastic professionals as part of a committed industry-focused team. Our real estate finance team works closely with our real estate, development, tax and corporate teams, as well as our leading real estate and finance teams around the world.
We understand the direction of travel for real estate and real estate finance is increasingly complex. We work closely with our clients to find creative solutions to the challenges created by the current global macro-economic environment and capitalise on the opportunities it presents.
Main tasks and qualities
You would typically act on all elements of a financing from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will be to draft and negotiate term sheets, security documents, facilities agreements and intercreditor agreements, ensuring a smooth process to transaction close
You will be expected to have client relationships and a desire to build on these and develop your own client network with support and guidance from the partners and wider team.
You would also be expected to manage projects that have been assigned to you, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers. You would be working as part of a committed and inspired friendly team that enjoys its work and considers itself a leader in its field of practice.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Drafting finance documents and supervising transaction teams
- Negotiating with counterparts and leading calls
- Contributing to department know-how and developing precedent documents
- Working with the partners to supervise and develop junior talent
In addition to strong technical skills, you should be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills as there will be significant client contact, in both the work and business development context
Essential skills and experience:
We are seeking a real estate finance senior associate with 5 to 7 years of experience to join our Global Loans team.
The candidate must have:
- experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating the full suite of finance documentation (using both LMA precedents and bespoke agreements) in a private practice environment
- be proactive, a fast learner, and a team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- experience working on cross-border transactions
- the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs, and the desire to create a memorable client experience
- a motivational, "can-do" attitude
- a commercial approach
You can expect to have exposure to a wide range of high quality transactions.
- Lendlease - Advised on the JV arrangements, financing and £80 million acquisition of 21 Moorfields, London fom Land Securities plc, including providing ongoing asset management advice.
- Oxford Properties - Advised in connection with the financing of the £429 million acquisition of the iconic grade II listed property known as Victoria House in Bloomsbury, London.
- Lloyds - Advised in connection with its financing of the designer outlet village and entertainment district at London's O2 Arena.
- Cain International - Advised in connection with a £170 million development loan advanced to a joint venture between Ballymore and Oxley for the delivery of Deanston Wharf, London.
- Thomas Cook - Advising the Official Receiver as liquidator a AlixPartners and KPMG as Special Managers of 26 Thomas Cook UK entities in compulsory liquidation including on the sale of Thomas Cook's UK retail estate to Hays Travel.
- Oaktree - Advised on the acquisition of a portfolio of non-performing loans from Lloyds Banking Group with a portfolio face value of €4.7 billion.
- Apollo - Advised on the acquisition of a portfolio of Greek commercial mortgages from and REOs from Alpha Bank with a portfolio face value of €1 billion.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.