We are currently recruiting for a Media Relations Manager (Corporate, Advanced Delivery & Solutions and Technology) to join our Marketing department.
We are looking for a Media Relations Manager to join the team on a 12-month contract basis. They will work alongside a team of four other media relations professionals who are each responsible for various practice groups within the business.
The manager will have overall responsibility for the planning and execution of the media relations strategy for the Corporate (primarily, but not exclusively, M&A) and (Advanced Delivery & Solutions (AD&S) practices, as well as supporting the firm’s focus on technology transformation. Although based in London, they will be a point of contact for our international colleagues who require communications advice and direction in relation to these practice groups and macrotrend focus. The role also includes responsibility for some elements of the firm-wide PR such as working with the events team to organise the annual media party and supporting the wider team when it’s busy.
- London media relations team
- Global head of corporate communications
- Social media team
- Digital marketing team
- London and international communications teams
- Global head of BDs for Corporate, AD&S and technology and life sciences
- Team heads and broader partner group within Corporate, AD&S, technology and life sciences
Role and responsibilities
- This is an excellent opportunity for someone with strong professional services PR experience, good relationships with both the trade and national media, and enthusiasm for media relations
- The manager will work with key stakeholders to plan, execute, track and evaluate the media relations strategy and activities for the corporate and AD&S practices, as well as supporting the firm in its vision for technology transformation. This includes writing media releases and other newsworthy content for our website and journalists, writing media briefing sheets and organising interviews and media roundtables The manager will need to be able to grasp a variety of different areas within corporate (M&A, anti-trust, commercial, financial institutions and private equity, and energy, infrastructure and technology), AD&S (legaltech, flexible resourcing and consultancy) the varying topics, priorities, messages and tone within the groups and also the relevant sector media.
- They will work closely with the international network of communications managers to develop and execute media relations campaigns and opportunities around A&O work in their key practice areas.
- Have confidence to work with people at all levels and take responsibility for advising and deciding what ideas should be taken to the media and act as gatekeeper to ensure the partners' and journalists' time is not being wasted.
- Have a self-assured and mature outlook to develop relationships with target trade, broadcast and national media on their own to build up a strong network of contacts to introduce to partners.
- Drive tactical news as well as longer term thought leadership and market commentary campaigns and opportunities with spokespeople.
- Support the media relations team with ongoing requests. The team receives dozens of requests internally and externally every week and it's important that each team member takes their share of responsibility.
- Liaise with wider marketing team and our social media executive on social media posts, ensuring that all activity meets our standards.
- Work closely with internal communications, content & campaigns, digital and creative services teams to coordinate the profile of the practices and its successes internally and externally.
- Organise, attend and offer advice on media training for key spokespeople.
- Co-ordinate awards submissions with the BD team. In particular, supporting our diversity & inclusion strategy is important.
- Play an active part in our hospitality programme including being involved in our annual media summer party and various other proactive initiatives throughout the year.
- Proven track record in professional services media relations and enthusiasm for media relations
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple requests, prioritise and act quickly to meet tight deadlines.
- Confident, pro-active self-starter and an avid consumer of news to be able to proactively identify and sell-in commentary opportunities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and provide support and advice when we are managing potentially negative publicity.
- Ability to plan and implement global PR campaigns, as well as track and evaluate activity.
- Have the skills and presence to provide direct and clear advice to senior members of the business and be seen as a trusted adviser.
- Quick adopter of new processes and navigating systems including journalist database, AI platform for media coverage, social media amplification tool and Microsoft Office.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.