Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com .
Operating across the construction industry, the Ashurst Contentious Construction practice has a track record of representing parties in substantial and highly complex disputes worldwide. Working closely with the Non-Contentious team, the Contentious practice provides an 'end to end' project solution for clients from procurement, negotiation, contracting and delivery, to risk mitigation, and ultimately to adjudication, arbitration and litigation.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in
full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience
- Qualified mid-level lawyer with relevant post-qualification experience at a law firm with expertise in the construction sector.
- Experience of disputes work, with a focus on the construction and infrastructure sector in the UK
- International arbitration experience would be an advantage but not essential
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs.
- You will already have acquired dispute resolution knowledge and have knowledge of the construction industry. You will be able to contribute to professional development and know-how and participate in training where appropriate
- You will take day to day responsibility for more straightforward matters and actively progress complex matters. You will be able to demonstrate well-developed drafting skills
- You will be confident and effective in negotiations with counterparts
- You will be effective in communicating with clients in order to understand their needs and how best to meet them. You will also have the ability to assist clients in arriving at practical and cost effective solutions. You will actively seek to identify personnel within the client whom you should get to know and be effective in forming those relationships
- You will take on a significant role within the team on complex matters and be able to lead the team on smaller matters. You will be able to identify when a team member needs support and will be approachable for advice, giving regular and constructive feedback
- You will understand the way our business, competitors and clients are developing and work with the business development team to use this information to develop business opportunities. You will build and maintain a network of business contacts. In addition you will proactively identify opportunities to introduce your clients to other offices and practice areas, working intelligently with partners, other lawyers and the business development team to exploit opportunities
- You will have excellent attention to detail, identifying inconsistencies that indicate problems with quality of work or a misunderstanding of clients' needs
- You will gather information from a variety of sources to identify your own strengths and weaknesses. You will mentor and assist junior associates to promote their learning and development
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.