Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
Our Innovation and Legal Technology team was founded in March 2020 and this role will be the seventh hire into this strategically important team. Innovation work closely with our key stakeholders across the business on the review and adoption of new technology, including the development of client solutions and technology based efficiencies to add value and create revenue. The team has an international remit and we look for focused, flexible individuals from a variety of backgrounds who are team players.
What you'll be doing
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the heart of Innovation at Trowers, assisting our Head of Innovation and Technology in coordinating innovation projects from planning to delivery and driving a culture of innovation and continuous improvement across the firm.
As an Innovation and Legal Technology Operations Manager within the team, you will be responsible for supporting the programme management of innovation projects and day to day management, supervision and work allocation among the technologists, including KPI, ROI and financial reporting. Innovation projects can be process, technology, or play a key part in the cultural shift required for the team to have a scalable impact on the way the firm operates.
This is a role focused on delivery and reporting of business change. Stakeholder and change management experience are equally as important as technical skills.
Implementation of the Firm's innovation strategy in practice including:
- KPI, ROI and financial reporting
- Operational support, coordination and supervision of innovation projects and legal technology pilots with the technologists including assistance in the end-to-end planning, development, delivery and continuous improvement of value adding creative client solutions.
- Ability to identify the most effective combinations of people, process and technology. Where required, the role will include the coordination and management of third party or other internal technology development experts.
- Working with the technologists on development and creation of innovation and knowledge collateral and other best practice materials (how to guides, training, etc.)
- Working with the technologists on preparation and delivery of internal and client-facing innovation sessions/collaboration workshops, etc.
- Working with the technologists to research and provide insights on legal technology tools and trends, together with advising on opportunities to leverage developments for the benefit of the firm and our clients
- Keeping up-to-date with the development of innovative products and solutions offered by competitors and sharing market intelligence to continually benchmark and to improve the firm's position as a legal innovator
- Supporting and advising lawyers and technologists on the deployment of process and technology for large and complex transactions, including driving the development of client materials and client communications
- Working with technologists and lawyers on development of client solutions across practice areas and sector groups, including effective user experience and tailoring sites to clients’ needs..
- Work with the team to drive a culture of innovation and continuous improvement across the firm through the championing of existing solutions, to help drive behavioural change and maximise the transformative impact of new products and services.
- Building strong relationships and collaborating with our lawyers and other key stakeholders to identify opportunities to improve existing processes and to ensure that solutions are developed in line with client expectations, practice group objectives, the firm’s strategic goals, considering developments in the legal tech market.
- Preparing and delivering presentations, demonstrations and training on existing products and market intelligence on technology tools to our lawyers and where applicable our clients.
- Work with the team to draft and design marketing materials for client solutions
- Where required, promoting the firm by participating in external legal events such as hackathons and attendance at conferences and events.
- Drafting press releases and driving the use of social media to raise the Firm's profile and increase market awareness
This job description is indicative only and does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities. The firm reserves the right to alter or change the responsibilities at any time, in line with the firm's strategy and business needs.
What you'll need
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience of people management and KPI/ROI and financial reporting
- Experience working in a private practice law firm with legal technology, together with an understanding of the changing legal services environment and the key drivers behind those changes
- Experience of hands on delivery of process improvement projects
- Ability to clearly articulate the benefits of legal technology and to adapt your approach based on your audience i.e. technical, non-technical.
- Ability to quickly establish relationships with project teams and sponsors
- Strong emotional intelligence, and have extensive experience of working with project stakeholders with different wants and needs, to achieve project success
- Be comfortable with ambiguity, and able to provide structure and logic to complex and unclear situations
- Have strong communication and presentational skills, and be comfortable, professional and compelling when presenting to senior stakeholders
- Be self-motivated with strong organisational, effective time management and project management skills
- Be a positive, enthusiastic, conscientious and proactive approach
- Ability to work both in a team as well as independently
- Ability to effectively prioritise conflicting demands and deliver simultaneous projects.
- Confidence and knowledgeability when dealing with different situations and internal and external stakeholders
- Have strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach.
- Be pragmatic, creative and commercial with a clear aptitude for problem solving and a genuine interest in solution design and development to achieve desired outcomes;
- Educated to degree level or similar.
- An interest in innovation and a passion for driving change
- Experience of people management
- Experience of KPI/ROI and financial reporting
- Experience in operational professional services delivery / practice development / knowledge management gained within a professional services and/or a leading law firm, ideally in an international environment
- Experience of strategic analysis, identification and operational implementation of innovative and/or new technological solutions and processes to professional services end users
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Be comfortable working under pressure and ability to work to tight timescales with a sense of urgency, consistently demonstrating a flexible, proactive "can-do" attitude
- Experience of using design thinking, or similar customer focused innovation methodologies
- Experienced, with knowledge and skills in artificial intelligence, machine learning, decision tree logic, automation and workflow tools.
- Lean Six Sigma Certified Black Belt or similar (Green Belt level considered for exceptional candidates)
- Project management certification (Prince 2, PMI or similar)
We also require awareness of and full participation in the Firm wide initiatives such as our commitment to equality and diversity and sustainability.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.