The A&O Research & Library function ensures our lawyers have access to the resources they need and are supported with timely and insightful research. Covering legal, business, and financial topics, the Strategic Research Group specifically supports Partners and senior management in the shaping of A&O’s strategy.
The Strategic Research Group (SRG) provides in-depth, bespoke research to client teams, using data visualization and data analysis methods to feed insight directly into strategic conversations. SRG is a global team and the Senior Manager oversees the direction and development of the research offering, identifying opportunities to standarise outputs and initiate new methods.
- The Senior Manager seeks out new opportunities for SRG to support the firm through the development of relationships with internal stakeholders. They will work closely with the Global Head to develop the strategy and direction of the function.
- In addition, key relationships include with the department’s management team, fellow researchers and Marketing.
Role and responsibilities
As Manager of the Strategic Research Group, the postholder:
- Leads the development of the research service, developing new approaches to research and new products to enhance the service.
- Works collaboratively with the managers of other functions within A&O Research & Library to deliver our offering to the firm.
- Proactively builds networks within the firm, developing relationships with lawyers and other senior stakeholders.
- Reviews management information to support the growth and development of the service.
- Provides expert advice on the use of business and financial databases.
- Provides mentorship to colleagues within the wider function.
- Promotes the wider A&O Research & Library service.
- Has responsibility for the selection and recruitment of SRG staff; their training and development.
- Collaborates and contributes to the wider development of the service.
- Takes an active role in the Management team.
Research expertise required:
- Expertise in banking, and the wider financial landscape.
- Knowledge of data analysis and visualization tools such as PowerPoint, PowerBI or similar.
- Ability to lead projects, negotiate deadlines and develop resourcing plans.
- Provision of research to external clients either on an ad hoc or project basis.
- Strong writing and technical skills, including the ability to abstract and summarize complex arguments.
- Numerical fluency and ability to present data in an effective fashion.
- Keen commercial awareness and interest.
- Excellent research skills and aptitude with specific expertise in the use of financial products such as Bloomberg, Refinitiv and FactSet.
- Strong technical skills in the use of PowerBI, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Self-starting and creative, with the ability to command credibility at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage expectations and negotiate deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to lead and foster a positive working environment.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.