We are currently recruiting for a Pitch and Proposal Manager (EMEA) to join our Marketing department in London on a permanent basis.
This role is part of the Marketing function which contributes to the setting and achievement of the firm’s business objectives, including strengthening our client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm and its brand positioning globally, and supporting our partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming our clients’ trusted advisers.
The objective of this role is to improve Allen & Overy’s approach to pitching and as a result, increase the proposal success rate. We are looking for an experienced pitch and proposal professional to support the biggest and most challenging pitches across our EMEA practice groups, sectors and geographies.
This individual will help advance and improve our EMEA pitch function by:
- Leading and advising on the most strategic and high-profile pitches and proposals
- Being a source of best practice for both EMEA and the global pitch community, providing guidance, coaching and training to the local and regional pitch communities
- Drive efficiencies into the pitch process by continuously reviewing and improving the methods, technology and practices we use in our cross border, cross practice group pitches and proposals
- Support the global head of pitching with reporting and tracking pitch outcomes across EMEA
- Global head of Pitching
- EMEA Senior Pitch Manager
- APAC global pitch managers
- BD teams within offices across EMEA
- Client relationship managers across key accounts in EMEA
- BD Practice Group and Sector heads
- Partners and Associations within the offices across EMEA whom work on big, cross border proposals
- The Marketing Technology team
- The Global pricing team
- Global Client Feedback Manager
- The Research team
- The creative studio
Role and Responsibilities
- Leading and advising on the most strategic and high-profile pitches and proposals across the EMEA region – driving the process, shaping the team, facilitating meetings, bringing best practice, agreeing strategy and messaging, drafting and reviewing content and coaching pitch teams
- Consult internally to support EMEA partners and BD teams in their pitch activity by helping shape messages, providing guidance and reviewing proposals
- Be a source of best practice for the EMEA pitch community and, through coaching and training, improve the team’s pitching skills and help improve our win rate
- Help build the infrastructure and tools across EMEA to improve efficiency and effectiveness in the pitch process
- Evaluate and debrief the pitch outcomes for the major pitches and proposals, identifying win/loss themes and work with the Global Head of Pitching to implement areas of improvement
- Collaborate with A&O’s global pitch community to ensure new global pitch programmes, systems and processes are implemented to help drive innovation and efficiencies
- Report on the regions pitch activity, performance and results
- Work closely with Marketing Technology team to help identify, implement and socialise new technology into our pitching processes
- Build relationships with external experts and bodies to keep on top of industry best practice
- Demonstrate credibility and first-rate influencing skills so that they are able to influence partners/fee earners and shape their approach to pitches (due to the breadth of this role and the size of the firm, the role-holder may not know the partners involved in the proposal and will have to build credibility from a ‘standing start’)
- Show strong project-management skills so that they can lead the firm’s most important cross-team pitches successfully
- Have good commercial understanding of the markets in which the firm operates and be prepared to get up-to-speed on relevant products or sectors quickly
- Show sensitivity to local nuances in terms of proposals best practice, and be effective at building rapport with partners and BD professionals based across A&O’s network
- Be effective at managing virtual teams, involving and drawing on the resources and expertise of local BD teams
- Prioritise their time effectively and manage competing demands for support and advice
- Enjoy working relatively autonomously, linking in with local BD teams (for whom pitching is a large part of their roles) and drawing on other central resources
- Network externally, for example by staying close to how our competitors and advanced organisations are approaching proposals so that our best practice remains at the forefront of the market and the firm continues to innovate
- Ideally have 5 + years’ proven track record of leading and advising on successful cross-border/complex pitches and proposals, preferably in a professional services environment
- Thrives on deadline with an ability to flex agreed processes appropriately to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and persuasion skills with the ability to tailor pitch content and styles to different audiences
- Strong organisational and problem solving skills, with the ability to execute multiple and complex pitch projects simultaneously
- Creativity,- is able to think of and deliver new ways to differentiate the firm during the pitch/proposal process
- Professional, proactive, high attention to detail and a commitment to quality
- Collaborative, team-oriented and client-focused attitude with the ability to work across diverse and cross-functional stakeholders
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.