The DLA Piper International Finance team is embedding a critical new leadership layer into the European Finance structure.
Regional Finance Controller is a newly created role that will play a critical part of the journey to further enhance both the financial controls and business partnership capabilities across the region.
Reporting to the Co-Heads of Finance Europe, this role will lead the management of the finance teams across the sub-region, in order to support the Firm’s strategic development in Europe. It will support both the local finance and country leadership teams by leading the financial strategy, profitability management, and financial control management of the European businesses.
This is a senior leadership role which will be responsible for the development of best-in-class financial control processes and governance activities in the sub-region. The person will manage the Finance Country Managers for the countries within the sub-region, supporting and guiding them to ensure appropriate and adequate financial controls are implemented within their respective countries. It will also support the country leadership teams and act as a Business Partner to the respective Country Finance Managers, and the Country Managing Partners on topics of financial controllership within the sub-region.
This role provides a unique opportunity for an experienced finance leader to design and implement financial management processes and to identify opportunities aligned to the European strategy for improving management and financial control, improving the organisation’s operations and supporting the Firm’s business objectives.
Regional Finance Controller will work in close contact with the central Accounting & Control and Compliance teams located in the UK.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports and controls the accounting, reporting, budgeting and forecasting activities of all Countries within the sub-region, ensuring the production of complete, accurate and timely information, not solely limited to financial information
- Assists and supports the review of monthly Country and Practice Group results, being a strategic business partner by interpreting the information and recommending appropriate responses based on the insights
- Performs monthly closing review and follow up of Countries within the Region on accounts receivable and cash
- Assist in the preparation of potential acquisition due diligence work, special projects, client bid and billing rates and other duties as maybe assigned
- Ensures the integrity of the local financial information and that this is aligned with local legislation and DLA reporting standards
- Communicates, implements, and maintains Group’s policies & procedures and Group’s reporting which guarantees the integrity and accurate presentation of financial results and operational KPI’s. This will include ensuring that finance related processes are appropriately documented and aligned to Group standards in all of the Countries in the sub-region
- Supports annual tax and financial audits
- Manages, coordinates, and supports the activities of the Country Finance Managers, through effective leadership and team management. Working with the Head of finance for Europe to set team goals, vision, and ways of working
- Holds responsibility for induction activities of the Country Finance Managers in line with DLA standards and policies
- Supports where applicable the activities of the (accounting) Global Service Centre and/or external (accounting) service providers through effective and regular communication and meetings as required
- Coordinates finance country teams in the delivery of compliance with IFRS and/or other local accounting regulations and DLA accounting policies while safeguarding the resources of the company by enforcing internal controls & company policies
- Takes initiative in supporting and developing financial control processes
- Supports the Head of Finance Europe by acting as an escalation and co-ordination point for financial control issues and deliverables within the sub-region
- Drives synergies and constantly prioritises the efforts based on risk and value creation within the sub-region
- Significant financial control experience within an international finance function
- Experience of ownership of all financial matters within region
- Ability to liaise, consult and conclude matters, with other support functions within the Finance team
- Ability to build relationships quickly with stakeholders. Team player, respectful of organisation and ways of working, adept at navigating diverse, multi-jurisdiction environments
- Quality oriented, analytical problem solver with the ability to anticipate implications and issues
- Practical experience of supporting business development initiatives and the ability to understand stakeholder requirements, while also anticipating business needs and recommending considerations
- Understanding of SAP is preferable
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.