The Immigration sub-group forms part of DLA Piper’s Employment team of 70 lawyers in the UK – the wider team covers pensions, incentives and core employment work. DLA Piper started the Immigration sub-group in 2019 as
there was a demand from our clients to provide this service and previously the work had been sent externally. The team covers both small scale business immirgations advice for start-ups taking on some of their first emplyoees, to larger businesses for whom we manage their regulary business immigration needs.
Despite the challenges of Covid on business immigration, the practice has now grown to c. £500k in fees (excluding disbursements) and has comprised one senior associate and one associate. The senior associate is leaving to move to an in-house role and therefore there is a need for a senior associate/legal director to manage the work and the associate.
DLA Piper is a truly global law firm and there is significant scope for the right candidate to use this platform to grow the Immigration practice. The firm prides itself on innovative service delivery and has heaviliy invested in a legal delivery centre based in Leeds which provides significant paralegal support to all Groups. To date the Immigration team have not used paralegal resource to manage the work but as the practice grows we would expect a high level of reliance on dedicated paralegals in order to deliver the services profitably. There is considerable scope for the
succesful candidate to ‘make this their own’ through delivery and exeuction of a business plan for profitable growth, with promotion to partnership a future possibility.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and deliver a business plan for the growth of the UK Immigration practice
- Have management responsibility for one existing Associate in the team, together with any Paralegal and administrative staff which the succesful candidate identifies as necessary to deliver the business plan
- Engage with existing immigration clients of the firm to ensure they are fully supported
- Able to handle multiple priorities, working to sometimes conflicting timescales in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Able to build trust and rapport to develop effective relationships, internally and externally
- Have experience of managing a profitable immigration practice including the use of paralegal and administrative staff
- Track record of winning instructions from targets – must be confident in pitching
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.