We currently have an exiting opportunity for an experienced finance professional to join our London office as Group Financial Controller. Our Group Finance team provide high quality advice and relevant information to the decision makers in A&O, ensuring compliance with regulations and deliver our service efficiently. This Head level role will be responsible for providing financial leadership, technical accounting advice and support to the Group, be responsible for preparing the group financial results, fiscal compliance and statutory requirements and managing the Group Audit and other technical accounting related matters for the organisation.
Our ideal candidate for this role will have a recognised professional accounting qualification, significant post qualification experience with experience in a multi-national business and professional services industry experience.
Role and responsibilities
- Ownership of the delivery of the group accounts consolidation, financial accounts and related compliance
- Lead the group audit and coordinate the overall global audit process and relationship
- Keep abreast of technical accounting changes in the role of technical finance expert. Responsible for considering impact on the group, writing recommendation papers and explaining these to management. Rolling out such changes across the network and ensuring adoption
- Responsible drafting and maintaining group financial policies and ensuring adherence to financial policies, procedures and standards by all offices within the group
- Responsible for designing and delivering a financial control approach and ensuring appropriate standards of financial stewardship across the global business including appropriate controls, reconciliations and verification
- Ownership the inter-office process driving change and improvements in this area by taking charge of the process; understanding transfer pricing policies and requirements; FX and other related issues. Manage balances to ensure local office compliance and reporting requirements are met
- Recognise where improvements for finance globally are required and work from inception to implementation to champion the changes
- Produce monthly management accounts ensuring all offices are reporting to the expected standard
- Prepare high quality, well thought through financial information and analysis suitable for senior management, the Board and Audit Committee
- Manage the Group Financial Reporting team to meet objectives, through development and coaching of team members. Ensure adequate resourcing and appropriate structuring of the team with the future in mind, allowing for an agile approach to service delivery whilst upholding quality, accuracy and excellent service levels. Encourages and facilitates contribution and facilitation by all
- Member of the finance leadership team; providing strategic input into discussions and in setting the agenda. Provides leadership and inspiration to the finance function globally whilst acting as an FLT ambassador
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Finance Systems to ensure integrity of the finance systems; ownership of the accounting elements of the finance system; input into software development and decisions
- Build and maintain relationships with Finance staff across the offices and within the wider group finance team. Fosters strong and productive relationship with clients and key stakeholders
- Technically outstanding with experience of operating in a IFRS standards environment
- Relevant finance, commercial and accounting experience. knowledge and skills - experience of operating in a global, multi-currency business environment
- Energetic, motivated and confident manner; able to communicate, influence and negotiate at all levels.
- Strong leadership and team management skills with the ability to train and empower staff
- Able to set the agenda on adding value through innovative ideas; looking outside the organisation for solutions and changes to keep the role and team content contemporary
- Hands on role with the ability to delegate as necessary whilst ensuring continuation of excellent service
- Aptitude to find practical, innovative and pragmatic solutions whilst ensuring the integrity of finance is upheld
- Work well under pressure with multiple demands in play at the same time, meet targets and tight deadlines; a flexible and agile approach to working practices
- Ability to adapt to, and implement change effectively and enthusiastically
- High level of IT system skills; ability to ensure finance systems are compliant & meet accounting requirements
- Ability to produce high quality documents, opinions, advice papers etc and actively imparts own knowledge for the good of the firm
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
The deadline for applications is close of business on Friday, 15 September 2023.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.