We are currently recruiting for a Paralegal to join our Corporate practice in London on a permanent basis.
The Corporate department focuses on a variety of sectors and legal product areas, and the nature of the work is broadly based, therefore you can expect to be involved in transactions of the highest quality. Much of the work revolves around mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance but there is also a huge variety of corporate and commercial advisory work, as well as areas of specialist regulatory expertise like competition and environmental law. As a result, the department fosters relationships with many clients, including governments, corporations, investment banks, financial institutions and private individuals.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Paralegal to join the London office’s Corporate department at Bishops Square. This role will support both our Governance team and, to the extent time allows, the Corporate Know-how team. The successful candidate will support our two Counsels with AGM/annual reporting and ongoing governance matters for approximately 30 FTSE clients. This will involve reviewing shareholder documentation, board papers and committee terms of reference and helping with BD plans for clients, including preparing for relationship meetings, and training sessions and events. This role will also provide additional support to the Corporate Know-how team and PSLs.
The successful candidate will be hard working, enthusiastic, and a team player with a high level of initiative, a willingness to learn and an interest in corporate governance. The role requires direct contact and involvement with A&O’s Corporate group, therefore excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills are essential along with a high level of professionalism.
Role and responsibilities
- Supporting on the AGM/annual reporting needs and governance matters
- Assisting with reviewing documentation, board papers and committee terms of reference
- Providing support with updating of articles of association
- Document management including filing, indexing, and data entry, basic drafting and updating extranet documents
- Collating information to assist with drafting/amending standard form precedents, practice notes and training materials
- Carrying out research into technical legal issues and market practice information
- Monitoring developments in relation to corporate law
- Assisting with and responding to queries from fee-earners across the firm
- Establishing, updating and/or maintaining the legal content of sector group intranets, extranet and client websites
- Assisting with the preparation of, and writing articles for, the department’s internal legal update newsletters
- Assisting with the administration of know-how system data bases
- General paralegal duties and support
Who we are looking for
- 2:1 degree or equivalent (plus GDL (if degree is not in law))
- LPC essential
- Prior experience of working as a Paralegal or working within a legal corporate department would be an advantage
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong research and organisational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication, professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Hard working, enthusiastic, team player
- High level of initiative and a willingness to learn
- High level of computer literacy
- Proven ability to effectively manage a busy workload and cope under pressure
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.