We are currently recruiting for a BD Manager - Derivatives and Structured Finance on a 12 month FTC basis.
We have business development teams embedded in, and dedicated to supporting, the global practice and sector groups and this role supports the award-winning and market-leading Derivatives and Structured Finance product group within the International Capital Markets global practice group.
We are looking for a Business Development Manager to support the Derivatives & Structured Finance (DSF) group. This role is responsible for the day-to-day business development support for DSF. This includes working with partners and associates on their client development plans, managing and leading on opportunities and proposals, driving the go-to market strategy, proactively sourcing opportunities for profile raising activities such as speaking at industry conferences, appropriate events and hospitality, as well as managing the marketing materials and go-to market documents for the team.
We are a year into our DSF growth strategy where we have identified growth product areas, focus clients and client targets. We have a clear vision for the DSF practice for the long term and the BD manager will play a lead role in making this strategy a success.
As competition for work in all capital markets areas intensifies, this role offers an opportunity to increase the sophistication and impact of business development within the practice and a skilful practitioner will have the opportunity to influence strategy at an individual partner and product group level.
Role and responsibilities
- Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction of BD activities. Play a key influencing role with partners on DSF business development activities and projects. Lead on communication, coordination and strategic leadership of the international DSF BD community.
- Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for DSF opportunities. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant DSF expertise. Seek client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
- Client account management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the management of strategic client relationships and coordinate client targeting efforts across the DSF group. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the DSF group.
- Client listening – work on client listening programmes; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with lawyers and the CRM team. Challenge partners on the best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management – work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and the BD Assistant to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Additional projects – Opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience at an equivalent BD Manager level within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with the management of the individual practice or service lines.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global derivatives and structured finance markets/practices (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous derivatives, structured finance or capital markets market experience would be a plus, but is not absolutely essential.
- Proven track record of achieving product-line business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
- A proactive approach, balancing creativity and tenacity.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.