Fuse is A&O’s tech innovation space and a working environment for a community of technology innovators. Fuse complements A&O’s established profile in the legal and fintech world, and is an integral part of the firm’s ‘advanced delivery’ capability. Fuse is recognised as a leading global centre for innovative legaltech, regtech, and dealtech: technology to support work on law, regulation, and deal-making. The core objectives of Fuse are to accelerate the development, understanding and use of tech-enabled solutions across A&O lawyers as well as with A&O’s clients.
Since opening in 2017, Fuse has hosted 60 tech companies, each resident for 6-9 months, across 7 cohorts. With each new cohort of innovators, Fuse takes the opportunity to focus on different opportunities to grow the expertise of A&O’s lawyers and clients – for example, the current cohort includes seven fintech companies, selected in conjunction with A&O’s leading financial institution clients, that provide a wide range of services in digital assets and other uses of distributed ledger technology. Access to and collaboration with A&O’s clients and legal subject matter experts remains a key driver in tech companies wanting to join Fuse.
Fuse forms part of A&O’s wider Advanced Delivery & Solutions businesses, providing broader technology, resourcing and specialist consulting services to help A&O lawyers and clients overcome the frustration of outdated and inefficient ways of working and enable them to better manage risk, reduce cost and become more resilient.
The Fuse Administrator has a wide-ranging administrative role, ensuring that all aspects of the Fuse operation runs smoothly. In particular, they have responsibility for co-ordinating a very wide variety Fuse projects throughout the year, as well as maintaining key records and documents for Fuse. They take ownership for organising and coordinating events and work collaboratively with the Fuse Team Coordinator and Fuse Front of House to ensure joined up support for the Head of Fuse and the rest of the Fuse team.
- Head of Fuse
- Fuse Senior Manager
- Fuse Cohort Companies
- Fuse Team Coordinator and Fuse Front of House
- AD&S Marketing and Communications team, plus wider A&O Marketing team (including Client Relationship Managers)
- Other business services teams at A&O
- Lawyers (of all seniority) and support staff
Role and responsibilities
Managing the activities of Fuse through the entire lifecycle of each cohort of companies, including:
- Finding and selecting new companies to join Fuse, including organising regular demo days for prospective applicants, coordinating media and other outreach to publicise the opportunities Fuse provides and administering the application process for assessment and selection of the cohort;
- Onboarding of Fuse cohorts, including administration of background checks on new members and organisation of materials needed to create marketing materials;
- Programming for the Fuse cohort during the year, including pitch training workshops, lectures and other communications, and tracking and reporting on progress made by each company; and
- Organising and administering internal and client ‘show and tells’ of Fuse cohort companies.
- Providing administrative support to the Fuse team and the Head of Fuse, including event organisation, post event reporting, inbox management and general coordination and communication on behalf of Fuse.
- Working with the Fuse Team Coordinator and Fuse Front of House to take events through form the initial brief and management to completion, whether on or offsite, and follow up.
- Creating and analysing data records of visitors to and occupants of Fuse, and of any wider contribution made by Fuse to client relationships, revenue generation or to A&O’s brand or business.
- Coordinating agendas and resulting action points of key meetings with the Fuse team, Fuse cohort companies, A&O lawyers and clients.
- Monitoring and updating trackers and other systems to record Fuse activities and events.
- Preparing and maintaining key Fuse documents such as timelines, brochures and guides to using the Fuse space.
- Preparing the Fuse “Week Ahead” summary for circulation to the Fuse cohort and internal stakeholders at A&O.
- Suggesting and implementing organisational and administrative initiatives, especially with regards to improving efficiency.
- Providing administrative support to A&O clients and staff, as required, such as printing, copying, scanning, courier requests, etc
- A team player, self-start, motivated, versatile and able to effectively prioritise
- Exceptional administrative and organisational skills with a high attention to detail
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Calm under pressure and able to assess and prioritise workload in a deadline oriented environment
- Attention to detail and ability to problem solve is essential
- Knowledge of A&O and its personnel or at least of a major law firm or other professional services firm
- Confident and effective communication skills – both written and oral
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills – with occupants of the tech-space, A&O partners and associates, A&O support functions, clients and suppliers
- Advanced technology skills, ideally not limited to Microsoft Office or similar, and curiosity about how technology and can affect modern law firms, companies and financial institutions
- Familiarity with the world of start-ups and incubators would be an advantage
- Experience of managing events or office management would be an advantage
- Willingness to work extra hours when required (e.g. for breakfast seminars and evening events).
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.