Allen & Overy's International Trade & Sanctions law team is one of the leading practice in this area. The team undertake a broad mix of work in the following key areas:
- UK and EU Sanctions compliance advice
- Sanctions and trade law support across a broad range of corporate, finance and real estate transactions
- Export controls
- Anti-bribery law
- Anti-money laundering/CTF law
- International public law
- Trade/WTO law
- Operational compliance advice
The team has a stellar reputation for advising clients on the most sophisticated and cutting edge legal issues. They offer a truly integrated and multijurisdictional regulatory law service to help their global and local client bases effectively manage their compliance risks/liabilities and make the most of commercial opportunities that arise in the fast-moving environmental arena. Clients of the practice include Exxon Mobil, Deutsche Bank, Mubadala, Reckitt, Imperial Brands, Prosus, TUI plc, Haleon and Macquarie.
- Partners, Associates and the wider Corporate team
- Business Development Manager
- Wider A&O community
Role and responsibilities
- Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
- Providing strategic guidance to clients
- Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Business development – development of a personal plan, assistance with and implementation of the business development campaign
- Legal research
- Qualified lawyer; 4 year and above PQE (high mid-level or senior associate)
- Previous experience of sanctions work is essential
- Strong technical knowledge of the legal framework surrounding a number of our core areas
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Sound experience of operating at associate level within a complex international organisation
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the partner and fee-earner community, building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- A person of sound judgement, able to establish a high level of credibility
- International outlook
Who we are looking for
We are looking for high-quality applicants with strong experience in a number of trade and sanctions matters to join a dynamic team where the quality of work is second to none.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work.
Our culture is one of high-performance and we have high expectations of one another, in everything we do. Being a proud team player is essential. We work together, listen and learn from one another and achieve results we could never achieve on our own. When you join our team, you’ll become part of a flexible, inclusive environment underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and we’re working hard to create an environment where you can bring your authentic self to work. We know that to excel, we must nurture an environment where our people feel they belong.