DLA Piper is looking to hire an additional In-House Legal Counsel to assist with a broad and varied workload across commercial contracts, firm governance, mergers/acquisitions/disposals, general corporate/commercial assistance, company secretarial work and procurement.
The candidate will report to the Head of Business Affairs and work as part of the team that is responsible for advising the firm on all legal issues affecting the firm both in the UK and Internationally (excluding the US). The in-house team works closely with the Board, Managing Partner, Senior Partner and Executive management of the firm.
We offer first rate support in the form of training, manager time, excellent career prospects and an opportunity to play a role in the development of a key team in one of the world’s most exciting and dynamic law firms.
Candidates who have 4+ years’ PQE, are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to undertake this role.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Candidates will have a broad diet of work, that will include, but not be limited to:
- Being a member of the Office of General Counsel, providing strategic input to the delivery of the team’s key functions and, where appropriate, investigating the use of technology to improve efficiencies and reporting
- Taking a commercial and practical approach and offering appropriate and innovative solutions
- Assisting with the negotiation, drafting and advising on a range of contracts both UK and International based, with support from the procurement team
- Assisting the in-house finance and tax teams on finance and tax issues affecting the firm
- Assisting with corporate restructurings and advising generally on the structure of the firm
- Drafting intra-group service/loan agreements
- Drafting heads of terms/memoranda of understanding
- Assisting with acquisitions and the establishment of new offices
- Drafting joint venture agreements
- Drafting board and shareholder resolutions and minutes
- Assisting with the drafting of reports for the Executive and Board
- Providing day-to-day legal support and advice to the firm
- Have excellent legal knowledge and extensive experience in drafting (4+ years PQE desirable)
- Previous experience in a similar role in private practice or in-house is a definitive advantage
- Build and maintain strong relationships both within and outside the firm, acting as an effective brand ambassador for DLA Piper, and an internal change agent
- Have a strong client service orientation showing empathy, flexibility and be solutions focussed
- Possess a high level of commercial acumen and analytical skills
- Be comfortable operating in ambiguous situations, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative personal working style
- Ability to multi-task and work to sometimes conflicting timescales and multiple priorities
- Be financially literate and technologically savvy
- Ability to take personal responsibility for and ownership of delivery
- Relationship management and the ability to work effectively at all levels including directly with management
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.