We are currently recruiting for a PSL to join our Projects, Energy and Infrastructure team in London.
Allen & Overy is the world's leading Projects, Energy, Natural Resources and Infrastructure (PENRI) practice. With over 80 partners and 300 lawyers worldwide, we have, since 2000, consistently closed more project finance deals globally than any other law firm. The practice includes lawyers from across the global firm’s offices and departments.
We advise the most sophisticated sponsors, project and construction companies, debt providers and governments across a wide array of sectors, including oil & gas (upstream, midstream and downstream), power generation (thermal, nuclear and renewable) and transmission, social infrastructure, transport, telecommunications, waste & water, mining and natural resources. Our market-leading expertise enables us to win exciting first-of-a-kind and first-in-country mandates in the energy transition sector, including hydrogen, nuclear, carbon capture and battery projects.
We provide our clients with a totally integrated service on all aspects of projects work in both the primary and secondary markets, drawing on and marshalling Allen & Overy’s specialist skills in relation to, among other things, project development, deal-structuring, bankability, equity strategy, debt financing and refinancing (including bank, capital markets, ECA and multilateral), infrastructure acquisition financing, hedging, project contracts, construction and regulatory compliance. We collaborate closely across the firm’s practice groups in areas such as private capital, sustainability and digitalisation.
We are recognised as ‘top-tier’ in all the major legal directories and the group's pre-eminence in the market has been further evidenced in recent years by numerous industry accolades.
The PENRI knowledge function is key to maintaining and developing our market-leading position. As the practice continues to expand by scope, size and geography and the focus on energy transition increases, we want to further build our knowledge team accordingly.
The PSL will support lawyers and other colleagues by tracking and analysing PENRI-relevant legal, technical and market practice developments globally and assessing the impact on our clients and our practice. This will include developing and maintaining training and materials to support colleagues in their transactional work and existing and potential client relationships and to ensure relevant knowledge is shared across our network.
- Global Head – PENRI Knowledge
- PENRI Partners and other fee-earners and PENRI knowledge paralegals
- Global A&O Knowledge, Learning and PSL community
- PENRI Business Development and wider BD and related business communities
Role and responsibilities
Identify and share market developments affecting the practice and prepare engaging and clear summaries and guidance, updates and client-facing material, using legal and commercial skills developed through experience in projects/infrastructure finance (from the finance, commercial or knowledge side).
Key Areas of Responsibility
Under general guidance about priorities:
- Identify key developments in relevant practice areas globally and how these may impact the practice and current and future clients, and alert colleagues and clients as appropriate
- Prepare, maintain and update high quality documentation to provide colleagues with cost effective and timely materials (fully up to date with precedent and practice, as applicable) which help progress transactional and client development business
- Participate in the design and delivery of training programmes and related initiatives to inform colleagues and clients about market developments, current law and legal developments
- Develop and evaluate material for suitability to be included in the firm’s Knowledge systems and understand how to operate and contribute to these systems and to promote them to colleagues
- Respond accurately, usefully and in a timely way to specific requests and queries from colleagues on legal and commercial matters within relevant areas of expertise
- Research legal or client/market related material to provide senior colleagues with clear and authoritative analyses
- Gather, synthesise and produce good quality, up to date and readable material for inclusion in the firm’s opinion pieces
- Assist and, when necessary, participate in important practice and cross-practice groups and projects designed to ensure A&O’s knowledge base and documentation is maintained in line with market developments, new legislation, significant case law etc. (including testing and implementing legal tech, AI and related tools, as appropriate)
- Maintain and develop own knowledge of law, practice areas, clients and current issues to grow expertise, reputation and value to A&O
- Qualified lawyer – minimum 4 years PQE upwards or similar (English law preferred)
- Previous successful experience working as a fee earner or PSL/Knowledge Lawyer or equivalent in a PENRI-related law firm, lender and/or commercial environment
- Technical competence in PENRI-related law and practice as expected at level of qualification (finance and/or commercial)
- General interest in and understanding of the PENRI practice and its exciting current and anticipated growth
- Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge and enjoy the operational and strategic sides of this role
- Willingness to work beyond own comfort zone across PENRI-related practice and business areas and maintain a global mind-set even when working primarily in or with our London team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Sound judgement and ability to deliver clear solutions-oriented legal and practical advice about complex issues when responding to queries or drafting guidance or client publications
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise to meet deadlines as and when required, and to work effectively in a hybrid working environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels with all areas of the business and to win respect as a trusted adviser, developing strong (internal and external) client relationships and credibility over time
- Collaborative and enthusiastic team player with the flexibility and resilience to develop and work in a fast paced and intellectually rigorous environment and seek and act on feedback, and with the skills to manage junior members of the team effectively
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.