Senior BD Manager - Global Antitrust
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 22 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Business Development, Business development
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Senior Manager, Manager
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently recruiting for a Senior BD Manager (Global Antitrust) to join our Marketing department in London on a permanent basis.
This role has specific responsibility for leading marketing activity (BD, CRM, PR) globally and providing strategic support for the Antitrust group. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced business development professional to take the lead role in one of A&O’s key practice areas with a global remit.
Role and responsibilities
- Strategy: shape and implement the business development strategy for the Global Antitrust practice in line with global strategic objectives.
- Proposals: take a lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for relevant antitrust opportunities. Coach antitrust partners and fee-earners on their presentations and ensure the teams not only follow but set best practice across the international antitrust team. Pitching is a key component and the successful candidate will need to demonstrate an aptitude and enthusiasm for winning business and pursuing new client opportunities.
- Profile-raising and reputation building: look for opportunities to proactively raise the profile of the Global Antitrust practice and increase the profile of leading individuals; liaise with the Media Relations team to continue to build a strong external profile as a standout practice for complex cross-border, high-value antitrust work and in other selected areas (cartel enforcement, other behavioural, private enforcement and so on); lead and run innovative, integrated and cost-effective campaigns across media that achieve results; direct resources and manage submissions to key antitrust industry directories and rankings. Plan roundtables and client seminars with key clients to strengthen and maximise senior level relationships.
- Strategic planning and practice management: work closely with the Antitrust Steering group on shaping the group’s business objectives and tracking progress against priorities; coordinating the working agenda of the Steering group in line with business priorities; oversee regular meetings of all antitrust partners to discuss practice priorities, key financials, pipeline, talent and people development, business opportunities and joined-up client development; maintain a calendar of key dates for the practice; lead on organising regular calls and meetings of the management team and follow up on actions.
- New product development and business generation: through market analysis, develop ideas to scope out and create new customer products and means of promoting our services in response to client need and market issues, including value-added services, client toolkits, new online products or client apps. Work with key stakeholders across the firm and with the international PSLs to spot opportunities and develop ideas that represent opportunities for revenue growth, new ways to deliver our advice or maximising client relationships.
- CRM for key client relationships and client targeting: help develop new relationships particularly with major ‘blue chip’ corporates by cross-selling our antitrust capabilities internally and spotting opportunities with client and sector teams. Explore ways with antitrust partners to develop new relationships with clients and generate opportunities for the firm.
- Client listening: support the firm’s client listening programme and help oversee its implementation in the Global Antitrust practice; identify targets for client listening exercises, carry out client listening sessions with key clients, and assimilate feedback for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that client feedback is acted upon appropriately.
- Internal/external communications: oversee regular schedule of internal communications to assist with global community-building and sharing of group news to further integration and collaboration; draft management communications and act as a key conduit in the group to ensure free-flowing information; ensure communication channels are not only kept up-to-date but also continuously improved and enhanced in line with feedback, market trends and other factors (website, intranet, antitrust client newsletters, social media channels etc).
- Events: develop and continuously refine a programme of events throughout the calendar internationally, in Brussels, and in London or other key hubs, for the purpose of profile-raising and relationship-building.
- Market and client research to support business planning activities and spot emerging trends or opportunities: oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (eg pipeline matters, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and other antitrust developments) for antitrust partners and associates.
- Team management: manage a BD manager in London Competition, set the joint agenda for delivery of BD support to the Brussels and London teams, assist with any issues, monitor progress on tasks and work collaboratively on antitrust projects, provide coaching and mentoring as necessary and provide people management support; set the direction for the broader global antitrust BD network, maintaining strong relationships, providing input, ensuring the ‘virtual’ team understands the strategic objectives of the global team and their specific role in supporting those from the national standpoint.
- Support teams: liaise and work effectively with other senior members of the BD team and other support teams both in London and internationally, including Know How/Finance/HR/Legal Tech/PMO teams.
- BD operations and systems: supervise the timeliness, consistency and quality of global antitrust BD tools, working with PAs, BD Executives/Senior Assistant resource to maintain collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Budget: allocate antitrust marketing spend together with local budget holders to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities and deliver ROI.
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the legal sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management).
- Sophisticated understanding of antitrust/competition law or previous experience practicing in the field would be advantageous. A commitment to investing time to build understanding of the issues of interest to clients and knowledge of strategic topical issues in antitrust/competition enforcement internationally is essential.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of our clients, markets and services.
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of managers and executives.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both BD team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert