Service Automation & Operations Engineer (24 month contract)
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 22 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently recruiting for a Service Automation & Operations Engineer to join our London IT team on a 24 month contract. Service Automation & Operations will be at the heart of Technology Services. You will be part of a team that will transform how our IT services are operated, monitored, provisioned and tested. Using software engineering to automate wherever possible, you will enable our IT support teams across the globe to provide world class support to our business. Helping to define the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that the services need to be tested and monitored against, building the monitoring, testing and provisioning of those services within your team. You will also be at the centre of transitioning services into operation. You will be part of a team of software engineers and report to the Service Automation & Operations Manager.
Role and responsibilities
Develop the monitoring, operating and provisioning solutions for technology services used by the firm:
- Work with IT Process and 3rd line support teams to define SLAs on new and existing services.
- Work with Testing Manager to define test cases against the SLAs.
- Work with Global Service Desk and 3rd line support teams to define provisioning requirements.
- Build the monitoring of services based on defined SLAs, through use of commercial off-the-shelf software and in-house developed solutions.
- Build automated recovery of services, integrate with IT Service Management (ITSM) platform to automatically raise incident tickets.
Automate the provisioning of IT services through orchestration and integration with the ITSM platform. This will include, but is not limited to:
- One-touch/self-service requests for business users.
- Automated user administration (moves/add/changes).
- Self-service infrastructure provisioning for software engineers.
Drive continuous improvement across all of Technology Services. Participate in and support cross technology process improvement initiatives.
Deliver solutions in line with established guidelines and adhering to deployment, testing and documentation standards established by Technology Services.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Highly motivated self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to communicate both on technical and business levels.
- Excellent all-round technology knowledge and practical experience of the majority of technologies within the software engineering discipline.
- Technical knowledge and practical experience of the design, operation and maintenance of IT applications, services and infrastructure with specific skills in:
- Software design and development principles.
- Cloud computing services and platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS).
- SQL and solid understanding of other data platforms (e.g. MongoDB, ELK).
- Web service architectures (e.g. SOAP, REST).
- Containerisation technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
- Web application and Web service configuration on Windows and Linux platforms.
- Identity and Access Management.
- Hands on knowledge of Elastic
- Good knowledge of Microsoft and Linux server platforms.
- Experience of integrating with ITSM platforms for automation, orchestration and provisioning pipelines.
- Good knowledge of secure software development practices and where to find guidance and best practice.
- Knowledge of ITIL, specifically the Service Operations library.
- Working within Agile teams, and building a DevOps culture.
- Experience of IT service and operations, and providing software solutions for these functions.
- Experience of designing and implementing applications for web, windows, mobile platforms and data integration solutions such as SOAP and REST-ful web services.
- Ability to create comprehensive technical documents including support transition guides, operational manuals, infrastructure diagrams and project specific documentation.
- Ability to provide accurate estimations using story sizing.
- Experience working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of multiple cultures.
- Experience of building applications in .Net / .Net Core is desirable but not essential.
Please note that we are unable to accept candidates seeking a day rate for this role. We are also unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert