Patent Litigation Associate / Senior Associate
- DLA Piper
- Dublin (County), Leinster (IE)
- Closing date
- 15 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Intellectual Property, Patents
- Experience Level
- 2-5yrs PQE, 5+ yrs PQE
- Role Classification
DLA Piper is one of the most widely recognized providers of a full range of commercial, intellectual property law, privacy, sourcing and technology law services for leading businesses worldwide. Our IPT team operates globally across more than 40 countries which means our clients benefit from a valuable combination of global insight and local knowledge that allows us to handle complex transactions and multi-party, high-value project work across multiple jurisdictions. This is an opportunity to join our growing team of Intellectual Property lawyers around the globe whilst based in Dublin.
You will be responsible for providing innovative advice and supporting clients in relation to patent litigation and IP advisory matters, with a particular focus on clients in the life sciences sector.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Our IPT team has successfully worked together in recent years to assist a large number of institutional and multinational organisations, across multiple sectors including in the Technology, Life Sciences, Retail, and Financial Services sectors. This is your opportunity to be part of a growing team, which has global reach and is strategically positioned as the only full-service global law firm in the Irish market. Primary area of work will include:
- Patent disputes including litigation and ADR; most of our disputes work has international aspects;
- Patent advisory, such as FTO work, patentability advice, IP audits, and advising on policies, procedures and contractual terms to maximise returns on R&D investment and minimise patent risk;
- Patent transactions: drafting and negotiating assignments, licences, R&D agreements, JVs; and
- Patent related corporate support such as due diligence, SPA contractual terms, patent assignments and licensing.
We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies. We have however given an indicative PQE as an approximate guide for applicants. Candidates who have at least four years PQE are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to undertake this role.
- Have strong life sciences sector experience, ideally gained working with colleagues in a global setting, and a passion for those sectors;
- Ideally (though not essential) have experience working in-house in the Life Sciences sector;
- Have experience of multi-jurisdictional patent litigation;
- Excellent academic credentials with a strong IP litigation background and several years’ experience practising as a litigation solicitor or patent attorney;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to connect, influence and collaborate at all levels across multiple geographies and practices;
- Be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the technical issues that are key to our clients;
- Be able to demonstrate a commercially focused approach;
- Be able to create and deliver sustainable, high quality client service whilst also considering client’s wider business objectives
- Be keen to get involved in business development and help drive the Dublin practice forward
Our IPT practice group is a truly international practice with an established track record of growth and development. Career prospects for the right candidates are excellent.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert