Secretary, Real Estate
- DLA Piper
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 15 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Legal Support, Legal Secretary
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator, Admin
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are recruiting a Secretary within our Real Estate Team in London.
In many of our offices, ‘Hubs’ have transformed how secretarial services are delivered; with team members sharing the workload. Hubs also provide opportunities for developing a broader range of skills for pursuing a defined career path, networking and knowledge-sharing. These opportunities were not possible with the traditional model.
We are proud of our history of secretaries progressing to take leading roles in the strategy setting and day-to-day running of our secretarial function.
We have 4 levels of role in the team:
- Team Coordinator – Manages and takes responsibility for the efficient running of the team. Oversees incoming work flow. Distributes tasks appropriately amongst the team whilst operating as a senior level Secretary. Responsible for communicating with fee earners to keep them appraised of a task or project status.
- Senior Secretary – Takes ownership for the efficient running of the team by role-modelling as an effective and responsible team member and acts as workflow supervisor where required.
- Secretary – Provides general secretarial and administration services as part of the secretarial team.
- Team Apprentice – An apprenticeship level role for those developing their skills, undertaking routine administration tasks at the direction of the Team Coordinator.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working collaboratively with the rest of the team, to deliver and provide exceptional secretarial support by:
- Taking responsibility to ensure work is undertaken in the most appropriate way to maximise efficiency
- Proactively managing workflow from the team inbox and completing tasks in priority order
- Coordinating internal and external client meetings effectively ensuring rooms and conference facilities are booked, liaising with attendees and ensuring that any required catering and technical equipment is in place
- Manage fee earner expectations in terms of deadlines and status of tasks undertaken
- Organising travel arrangements through the travel portal including booking and confirmation of reservations, flights, hotels, taxis, after flight transfers. Liaising with third party provider to obtain visas and producing detailed itineraries
- Understanding DLA Piper document management processes (iManage)
- Utilising document production for the creation of all first draft documents
- Assisting fee earners with the organisation of meetings including preparation of agendas and collating meeting papers in a timely manner
- Organisation of file management including closing of files, archiving and ensuring all relevant documents are filed electronically and in line with our file management best practice
- Understanding the end-to-end billing process including creating standard bills, disbursements, amending narratives and raising credit notes
- Understanding the client matter opening, client reporting and client balances processes
- Completing financial reports where required, from internal systems highlighting outstanding monies to be billed and updating particular client financial schedules where necessary
- Managing group and fee earner contacts to ensure they are up to date through Interaction (CRM tool)
- Providing administrative support to fee earners with conflict searches and audit requests
- Assisting on ad-hoc projects as and when required, for example managing bundles, assisting during team events, indexing documents, etc.
- Previous experience within a professional services environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- GCSE Maths and English Grade 4 and above or equivalent
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills
- Flexible approach to working practices in order to meet business needs
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Friendly, personable and approachable
- Adaptable and flexible approach
- Conscientious and diligent
- Remains calm under pressure
- Eager to learn and develop skills
- Adopt a can do attitude
The Department or Practice Group
Joining our Secretarial Services team is the gateway to an exciting career in the legal sector. We have redefined the role of secretaries by challenging the status quo and investing in their futures. Join us and build a rewarding, varied career that thrives on responsibility and is central to the success of our legal teams.
We are integral to the success of our business, and highly respected colleagues who add value by enabling our lawyers and partners to focus on client satisfaction and growth. It’s varied, satisfying and valued work. As a business service professional, you will be at the heart of our firm and the go-to person for both colleagues and clients.
We believe strongly in investing in the development of our people. For example, the DLA Piper Academy gives instant access to learning and development resources to support your individual learning plan and to help define your future. You can learn new skills to progress your career along a path that is right for you, and help you reach your full potential in a diverse and global team that thrives on collaboration.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert