- DLA Piper
- Leeds or London
- Closing date
- 15 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Other specialist roles, Risk Management
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
To support the Head of Internal Audit and Senior Internal Audit Manager as part of DLA Piper’s Internal Audit team. DLA Piper’s third line of defence provides independent and objective assurance to the Board, Executive and Audit Committee on the design and effectiveness of the firm’s internal controls, including compliance of DLA Piper first and second line of defence teams to internal policies and procedures as well as best practice, applicable laws and regulations.
Carry out internal audits and reviews and oversee the delivery of the auditors in delivering audit activity in accordance with the approved Internal Audit Plan to provide assurance on the design and effectiveness of the firm’s internal controls and processes, including compliance to internal policies and procedures across the international firm.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the the Head of Internal Audit and Senior Internal Audit Manager to develop the annual risk-based Internal Audit Plan for the international firm
- Support the the Head of Internal Audit and Senior Internal Audit Manager to scope and deliver individual audit reviews across the international firm in accordance with the approved annual Internal Audit Plan ensuring technical excellence and a practical/business driven approach
- Prepare structured and clear internal audit reports for all completed audits detailing the agreed audit findings
- Track the delivery of all recommended actions by auditees to address and remediate audit findings, obtain supporting evidence for closure of audit actions and prepare reports for updating the Board, Executive & Audit Committees on remediation progress status
- Test and monitor the compliance with internal policies and procedures as well as best practice, applicable laws and regulations across the international Firm
- Deliver ad-hoc assurance reviews and deep dives of strategic initiatives and issues as requested by the Executive Committee and Board members
- Develop Internal Audit MI for presentation and discussion in senior governance forums of DLA Piper including the Executive, Board, Risk and Audit Committees
- Contribute to improvement and evolution of internal processes and templates of the Internal Audit team
- Work in a collaborative manner with other teams across the International Risk Group to ensure a consistent approach to risk management, internal controls and assurance is maintained throughout DLA Piper
- Develop effective relationships with partners, fee earners and business services teams and work closely with key business stakeholders
- Develop meaningful relationships, becoming a trusted advisor for the partnered business areas
- Contribute to continuous monitoring of changes in business activities, operations and evolving risks through participation in regular meetings with Management
- A qualified audit professional (ACA / ACCA / CIA) with direct internal or external audit experience from a Big 4 Accounting Firm; minimum 5 years experience
- Experience in the definition and delivery of firm-wide Internal Audit Plans
- Practical knowledge and experience of audit procedures, from scoping, planning, testing, agreement of actions and reporting of findings
- Experience in the tracking and oversight of the delivery of audit actions with management owners in accordance with agreed audit timescales
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, skilled at drafting structured and precise audit reports
- Experience of working effectively with cross-functional areas within a matrix structure
- Be a self-starter who is able to work on their own initiative as well as being part of a team
- A relationship builder able to influence a diverse stakeholder group across international locations
- Possesses a high level of commercial acumen and analytical skills
- Comfortable operating in ambiguous situations, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative working style
- High level of professionalism and personal accountability
The Practice Group
The International Risk Group is responsible for managing the risk and internal control environment of DLA Piper International and consists of Internal Audit, the Risk & Resilience function and Information Security. Internal Audit is led by the Head of Internal Audit whoreports to the Managing Director, Sustainability & Resilience and provides independent and objective assurance to the Board, Executive and Audit Committee on the design and effectiveness of the firm’s internal controls.
The Risk & Resilience function is made up of 5 complementary areas:
- Erterprise Risk Management
- Risk Standards & Assurance
- Risk Governance & Analytics
- Risk Culture, Education and Awareness
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert