Strategic Governance and Advisory Lawyer
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Experience Level
- 2-5yrs PQE
- Role Classification
The Strategic Governance and Advisory team provides advice on current and emerging risks, with a particular focus on 'ESG' related issues such as climate-related risk disclosures, energy transition, supply chain risks and social impact. We advise clients on other operational and reputational risks such as cyber incident response and financial crime.
We also assist with specialist governance matters such as annual and other periodic reporting, AGMs and other shareholder meetings, continuous disclosure, governance structures, directors' duties, legal and regulatory compliance, conflict matters, securities and insider trading issues, best practice principles and other corporate law matters.
Description of Lawyer Role
- You will be responsible for researching and drafting advice to clients on corporate governance matters (e.g. on directors' duties, conflicts of interest, regulatory compliance, etc).
- You will draft constituent documents (e.g. constitutions and shareholders' agreements), board committee terms of reference and policies (e.g. audit and risk committee terms of reference, conflicts of interest policies) and required shareholder correspondences (e.g. notices of meeting and resolutions).
- You will research and draft advice to boards, non-executives, executives, general counsel and company secretaries on various topical and emerging strategic issues such as directors' duties in the context of data breaches, ransomware demands, greenwashing and ESG.
- You will review and in some cases draft shareholder-focused documentation including notices of AGM and annual reports.
- You will work with lawyers across various practice groups to assist them with corporate governance matters, queries relating to their transactions/clients and to advise on the emerging strategic issues that arise at board level (e.g. advising the board on director liability and incident response in the aftermath of a major data breach).
- You will be responsible for researching and drafting thought leadership including articles, client alerts and client presentations on relevant legal and regulatory developments and other corporate governance matters.
Essential skills and experience:
- At least 2 years of post-qualification experience in corporate governance, corporate or other transactions or a demonstrable interest in governance matters such as ESG.
- Solid analytical, drafting, writing and communication skills.
- Familiarity with the Companies Act 2006, the FCA Handbook (specifically, the Listing Rules and Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules), the AIM Rules for Companies, the UK Market Abuse Regulation, the UK Corporate Governance Code, QCA Code and Wates Principles.
- Takes a commercial approach and has a strong desire to provide nuanced and practical solutions to complex problems.
- Able to work independently and with initiative, but also thrives in a close-knit team environment.
- Strong legal research skills.
- Manages time effectively and is able to prioritise.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert