Business Development Manager, Risk Advisory
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Business Development, Business development
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history, that celebrated its bicentenary in 2022. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com.
Ashurst's Global Business Development team is located in major cities across EMEA, Asia Pacific and the US. We execute the firm's clients and markets strategy driving profitable growth with a specific focus on our chosen sectors and priority clients. We are a diverse team combining various personalities, cultural upbringing and professional backgrounds spanning the range of business to business, professional services and hands-on industry expertise. Our different perspectives and experiences enhance the outcomes we achieve and make us a fun and adaptable team. To be the most progressive law firm, you need the most progressive global BD team. Being a member of this team means being a part of a forward-thinking and dynamic team inspiring you and those around you to be the best you can. And together, help to lead the way in setting new standards for BD in the legal landscape.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced BD professional to support our growing Risk Advisory practice in the UK. Established in 2020 in Australia, Ashurst's Risk Advisory division equips clients to meet the demands of today's changing and challenging environment.
Ashurst Risk Advisory assists our clients to continue to meet their legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations, whilst benefiting from our future focus, the unique perspectives we bring, and our considered and collaborative approach to problem solving. Together, we improve commercial business outcomes and performance and provide our client's holistic solutions.
As the Senior Business Development Executive (Senior BDE) you will work in conjunction with the Senior BDM, Global Risk Advisory BD Lead, and wider BD team, as well as the Risk Advisory Partners and Directors to develop and execute business development, bid management, sales enablement, campaign, and innovation initiatives relating to the practice's strategy, as well as key opportunities with major clients.
This role will be responsible for leading and driving BD activities for Risk Advisory in line with our national strategy and in support of the Senior BDM. You will be a natural collaborator and connector, with strong communication skills both written and verbal with a passion for business development and client centricity. A high energy role, you will be self-starter, with a 'can-do' attitude and be willing to work as part of a team doing everything from simple admin tasks to complex strategy. You will be expected to demonstrate best practice and assist with the consistency of product and brand across all business development activities your role intersects.
This role is an exciting opportunity for the right person to step up and demonstrate their BD skills and capability. There is enormous scope for this role to be transformative, changing the way the team think about and approach BD and in being an integral contributor to creating a leading approach to the future of legal services.
- Build and develop relationships with the partners to raise the profile of BD and ultimately become a trusted adviser and their go-to for BD activities
- Work closely with your manager to implement strategic BD&M initiatives and pursue major client opportunities
- Co-ordinate the production and distribution of divisional thought leadership initiatives and look for opportunities for topical seminars, unique events and PR initiatives
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of sales and marketing materials, including website / intranet content, publications, brochures
- Provide project management support across the entire opportunity pursuit process, including managing opportunity databases and preparing client-focused sales collateral
- Conduct client listening on matters, pitches and relationship reviews as needed
- Manage and coach teams in the development of winning strategies, with a client centric approach to develop key messages highlighting the value proposition and Risk Advisory's unique differentiation in market
- Refine and / or prepare tailored pitch and other client-facing materials, including taking the lead on panel tenders and strategic client opportunities
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the legal industry and marketplace, and the firm's key service offerings and product areas, with high-level practice-specific knowledge
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Enthusiastic, 'can-do' and proactive attitude - this is critical to the success of this role
- Self-starter who will identify, take accountability for, and follow through on potential opportunities and initiatives
- Previous experience in a professional services BD environment (3-5+ years' experience)
- Tertiary qualification in business or related relevant field is desirable
- An understanding of legal practices, products and the legal competitive landscape and/or professional services is desirable
- Collaborative, team-orientated approach with demonstrated experience of going the extra mile
- An innovative mind-set and a passion for developing and evolving the way you, and your colleagues, work
- Excellent verbal and written communication - able to write clearly, concisely and to a high standard, with an excellent grasp of grammar and punctuation and demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organisational and project management skills, with the ability prioritise strategically, work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects and activities
- Commercial and client centric approach
- Ability to work autonomously when required as well as ability to work within a team and take direction from others
- Strong stakeholder management, organisational skills, and ability to produce high quality deliverables for senior audiences
- Ability to switch between detail and the bigger picture
- Prior experience as a Bid Coordinator, or exposure to sales support or sales operations ideally within professional services
- Strong project management skills with the ability to scope, plan, lead, and deliver on projects independently.
- High attention to administrative detail, a passion for internal client service and a passion for sales operations, pursuits, bids and tenders
- Good analytical skills, and comfortable with reporting activities
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert