HR Manager - Corporate (12 month contract)
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 Jul 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Human Resources, Generalist
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We currently have an opportunity for an HR Manager to join our London office on a 12 month contract. The purpose of this role is to support the Head of HR in the provision of strategic and operational advice to relevant client groups and to assist in the delivery of the strategic HR plan for the Global Corporate Practice Group.
Role and responsibilities
Develop and manage effective working relationships with the key stakeholders listed above plus the senior support team.
Working closely with the Head of HR to implement HR strategy for the Practice Group including:
- Contribution to the strategic planning process
- Implementation of talent and succession plans
- Facilitation of the Group's culture through HR initiatives
- Support of the leadership of the Group
- Advising in all HR matters (particularly in relation to risk and cost) related to the management of the Practice Group
Work as a fully integrated and trusted advisor to the partners within the Practice Group including:
- Advising on HR matters related to the recruitment, development and retention of individuals within the Practice Group and facilitating issue resolution through the Central HR teams and other Support Departments
- Identification and proactive resolution of group issues/ themes
- Supporting partners to deliver effective staff management processes and messages
- Being responsible for the successful execution of the annual review process for fee earners and support staff, ensuring that reviewers and reviewees are appropriately briefed and trained
- Ensuring that development outcomes arising from reviews are assessed and actioned, including preparation for attendance on Career Management programmes
- Responsible for the successful implementation of the salary and bonus review process
- Co-ordinate the client and international secondment planning process including identification of suitable secondees
- Supporting each sub Group within the practice group which may include attendance and input to partner meetings
- Collaborating and liaising with the other Support teams in the Practice Group to provide a coherent and co-ordinated service to the practice group and the firm, including Business Development, Finance, Know-How and the Group Managers.
- Analysis and action planning following MySay Engagement survey
- Working with the finance team to supply data for the budgeting and resource planning process
- Responsibility for agreeing career breaks and other periods of unpaid leave and flexible working arrangements
- Undertaking exit interviews, analysing feedback and responding as appropriate.
- Supporting the Counsel and PSL Counsel Promotion processes for the Group, including, as appropriate, briefing and preparing candidates and their sponsors, design and implementation of the panel and assessments and supporting newly promoted Counsel/ PSL Counsel into the business
- Supporting the Senior Associate Promotion process
- Managing initiatives and projects linked to employee engagement, mental health and wellbeing, diversity and inclusion.
- CIPD or similar certification
- Technical competence in all aspects of employment law, compliance practices and policies with significant HR experience
- Will have worked successfully as an HR practitioner in a corporate, finance, professional services, consultancy or law firm
- Excellent track record of working with senior management within a complex international organization
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to influence strategic thinking/direction through creative and pragmatic issue resolution
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the Partner community, building and developing strong client relationships
- Collaborative team player with the ability to nurture and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- High energy individual who enjoys both the operational and strategic sides of this role and shows great flexibility
- Resilient; able to understand that credibility has to be earned in this environment and may take time
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility in the organisation and act as a trusted advisor to Management
- Ability to deal sensitively with difficult issues and personalities.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert