We are currently recruiting for a Talent & Development Senior Manager to join our London office.
The central Talent & Development (T&D) team within HR designs and delivers learning and development for all staff globally through business skills and personal development training for partners, associates and Business Team staff and other development support. T&D provides leadership on identifying, developing and retaining our talent. We plan the overall delivery of training and work closely with the Training Events (TE) team (based in Belfast & London) to ensure the smooth set up and running of each programme, whether this is virtual or in-person.
The specific populations and programmes that this job holder is responsible for is subject to change over time as priorities evolve and work split is agreed between the team. At the current time, the planned main focus and responsibility is the leadership and business skills development for our global Business Teams (including LPAs) at all levels. There is the opportunity to contribute to other programmes for our lawyers and work with other members of the team on facilitation, delivery and observations. The firm is continually reviewing its T&D offering and part of your role will be initiate reviews and refreshes of the programmes that we currently have and/or that we should have, and includes integrating a more blended learning approach and successfully establishing our new learning platform.
Role and responsibilities
Programme design and delivery
- To work closely with the Business Teams to define training needs and the content of core programmes and to propose and agree overall approach to any agreed development programmes and workshops globally.
- To ensure that programmes have defined learning objectives, that the style and structure of sessions and the flow of learning appropriately meets these, that programmes employ effective techniques and to leverage our learning platform to deliver a blended approach maximises learning
- To source and curate e-learning content that learners can access on demand, ensuring this is high quality, refreshed and relevant for learners
- To promote the use of the new learning platform so that utilisation is high and learning benefits are maximised
- To deliver selected programmes and sessions, either virtually or in-person
- To build and manage relationships across the global network with key stakeholders and line colleagues to ensure that needs are understood and to cover key information on learning, programmes and new developments. This is to build understanding of how learning supports development in a broader context and ensure training is delivering high quality skill development
- To add to, refresh and update learning as necessary to ensure continuous improvement and to reflect changing priorities and in response to feedback
- To project manage the delivery of programmes, managing the relationship with relevant members of the Training Events team to ensure the effective organisation, delivery and follow up of all programmes
- To identify and select training providers who have expertise that meets the particular requirements of a programme(s). To manage our on-going relationships with training providers to ensure they are providing the highest quality of training
- To work with internal experts to develop content and/or run sessions on programmes
- To create and maintain key documents, frameworks, materials and intranet sites as required. To manage key systems, intranet and databases that support consistent global standards of delivery of training and compliance
- To deliver value for money on all programmes – and set and manage the budget to achieve this. To match demand to supply and ensure the appropriate number of programmes are delivered where and when required
- To work closely with the business on bespoke learning needs for specific groups of people, teams, departments or office, often with a need to handle sensitive and confidential information. This includes conducting 1:1 or team MBTI sessions
- To present to management teams or departments on current initiatives or deliver best practice, for example embedding learning tools
- To advise on team or department off-sites with regard to any learning objectives, advising on design, external expertise and related costs
- To facilitate and/or observe on programmes managed by other team members
Coaching and mentoring
- To assist with sourcing suitable coaches to meet specific development needs as required, ensuring this investment delivers value to the individuals and the business
- Identify and work with coaches as an integral part of leadership programmes
- Undertake ad hoc coaching support as required
- Promote mentoring as a key development tool, including training mentors and communicating expectations of the role
Who we are looking for
- Candidates must have substantial previous T&D experience and a track record of working to design and implement successful development programmes (including at a senior level) and be experienced in delivering skills training programmes.
- Of particular interest is experience within the professional services sector (including law firms). Candidates need to be client focused and demonstrate understanding of the business context including aligning training to business priorities and strategy. They need to be credible with senior management and adept at managing a range of stakeholders.
- Designing and implementing skills and leadership programmes (including at a senior level) and implementing changes to existing programmes
- Experienced trainer and facilitator who can deliver a range of skills programmes / sessions
- Working at all levels within the organisation and managing different expectations
- Excellent influencing skills, good communicator
- Ability to build relationships and credibility and have impact at a senior level
- Attention to detail
- Managing several different projects at any one time
- Experience of presenting to and facilitating groups
- Ideally trained to use psychometrics such as MBTI
- Experience of coaching (coaching accreditation desirable) and mentoring
- Build strong relationships internally and with external providers
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.