Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you will work
The purpose of the Document Production Centre (DPC) is to provide the firm's fee earners with a seamless, professional, accurate and timely document production service, in a high quality, busy, deadline driven environment. The DP Specialist will be required to advise on document layout and reformatting options and will also manage the firm's precedent bank to ensure all documents are maintained in the firm's house style and are consistently updated upon instruction from the legal departments. The role will focus on client satisfaction, quality, reliability and efficiency within a highly trained, specialised team.
The DP team takes an active interest in the workload and requirements of each area of the business and will provide flexible services to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
The DP Specialist will need to be flexible from time to time in respect of working hours to ensure that absences are covered to an appropriate level at all times.
What you will be doing
- Producing and amending correspondence, documents, reports, deeds, attachments etc. from a variety of sources, in house style and in line with the firm's specific systems/procedures
- Transcription, through the use of digital dictation
- Document production and manipulation
- Accurately interpreting complex fee earner briefs and producing documents within the required timescales, seeking clarification when necessary
- Proof reading and quality checking all work to ensure that completed documents are delivered accurately and to an appropriately high standard. Ensuring all edits have been inserted and make logical and grammatical sense
- Creating and amending electronic Bibles/Bundles
- Use data rooms to upload/download documents
- Effectively using systems to prioritise and complete incoming work
- Adapt to new software
- Keeping service users updated on the progress of their work
- Ensuring documents are produced within the required timescales
- Prioritising own work and proactively communicating if a deadline cannot be met
- Sharing of knowledge and expertise across the team as well as being responsive and flexible to the needs of a particular client of the DP Department
- Being an ambassador for the DPC and educating the firm to use the DPC to its fullest potential
- Contributing to the success of the DPC and understanding how this success is measured.
- Proactive in making suggestions for improvement and acting on them
- Highlighting any skills concerns and implementing solutions to show continuous improvement
What you will need
- Must have previous experience of working within a document production team
- Accurate typing speed of at least 60 words per minute
- Confident at producing a variety of documents for all legal groups including complex legal backgrounds
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and any other core systems implemented by the firm
- Ability to strip document formatting and reformat in house style
- Ability to repair problem documents either on own or with support from IT
- Excellent client service skills
- Professional and client-focused telephone manner
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Exacting eye for detail
- Flexible and dependable
- Able to remain calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic
- Resilient and able to deal with a variety of issues as they arise
- Pro-active and highly motivated
- Ability to use initiative
- Able to build confidence, respect and trust with others
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.