Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Established in 1984 and located in the heart of the City our Exeter office has evolved into a full-service law firm and the first point of call for many corporate and individual clients in the South West and beyond.
Our expertise takes in both public and private sectors, with a particular focus on Real Estate – both residential and commercial property. We have teams who advise on construction, employment, litigation and dispute resolution, property finance, and corporate advice.
We are also well known for our work in wealth management, residential property conveyancing, and agriculture. We are an acknowledged expert in specialist travel insurance law.
Our Exeter office is home to a team of 148 staff, led by 24 partners. Our locally based lawyers have a deep understanding of what matters to clients in the South West. In turn, our clients choose us for our high levels of service and expertise, and also for the value for money we can offer by utilising our regional teams.
We have an enviable reputation for bringing public and private and charity sectors together in innovative joint ventures. Our in-depth understanding of the public sector and the rules and regulations it operates within, as well as the commercial drivers for our private sector clients, means we can find practical and workable solutions, and do so efficiently and economically.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Associate to join our Construction Disputes team in Exeter. Construction is core to what we do and our team enjoys a formidable reputation across the industry. We consistently win panel appointments for major public and private sector clients nationwide. Our work focuses on UK contentious construction matters which is broad scope and sees us acting for both private and public sector developers. Our experience extends across all the major contract forms (JCT, NEC, ICE, FIDIC, PPC and GC Works) as well as PFI and bespoke contracts.
What you'll be doing
You can expect to be involved in:
- Alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication, mediation, the resolution of claims under the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes and litigation;
- Dispute avoidance and risk management;
- Contractual interpretation;
- Professional negligence;
- Domestic projects in the main but with the opportunity to become involved in international matters;
- Play an active role in business development and work to raise the firm's profile and help win new business;
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices and other practice areas, and travel as required;
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Initiate, build and maintain effective client relationships;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Drive, enthusiasm and vision;
- Commercial awareness;
- Flexibility and can-do approach;
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach;
- Demonstrable passion and aptitude for business development;
- Qualified solicitor with at least 5 years post qualification experience in construction litigation;
- Knowledge of JCT and NEC;
- Excellent academics and training;
- Experience of fire safety/cladding disputes is desirable;
- An understanding of the Building Safety Bill and the implications for the construction sector;
- As well as, experience of working for social and private developers.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.