Finance Assistant – 12 Month FTC
- Glasgow, Glasgow City
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Finance, Generalist
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator, Admin
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history, celebrating its bicentenary in 2022. We are proud of our history and future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
The key to effective practice management requires strong financial discipline to help businesses not only cover their financial obligations but also to boost revenues.
The Practice Finance Assistant (PFA) is a key position which provides a link between the practice executives, fee earners and the financial management team.
The role of the PFA focuses on client and matter administration, working capital management and pre-billing processes.
Financial and matter management
- Work with partners, lawyers, practice executives, clients and the financial management team to prepare timely and accurate invoices, involving, but not limited to:
- The review of work in progress to support the matter billing process (including disbursements and third party invoices) with the relevant lawyer/partner
- The creation/amendment of invoice/time narratives in accordance with client specific requirements
- Ensuring time entries are allocated to the correct file and transferring time between files where appropriate
- Preparing financial reports and draft bills and sending out final bills
- Review and ensure the accuracy of client charge rates and other matter specific financial information
- Filing each invoice sent on the relevant file
- Liaise with clients on billing matters, fees and disbursements in line with Partners requirements
- Ensuring year end WIP valuations are completed for audit purposes
- Forecast any potential issues around profitability, recover and payments and support maximising revenue
- Ensure timesheets are complete and correct for the Global Practice Group
- Work with Legal Project Management team to manage the portfolio for the Practice Group
- Collate information from the practice management system (3e) and other sources to support the preparation of internal and external client reporting
- Work with the financial management operations teams to support debt collection activities
- Support with trade flow matters and escalate budget issues
- Manage and track notary fees
- Assisting with New Business Intake requirements and client file opening and related processes
- Answer calls, take accurate messages and deliver promptly
- Coordinate fee earner meetings
- Process expense claims and accounts payable requests
- Support training of new fee earners on all financial matters
- Business development
- Update client relationship management system (Interaction) records and contact details
- Assist the Local Hub or Global Shared Services teams with varied ad hoc tasks (capacity depending)
Supporting Practice Executives in relation to other administrative tasks as required.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential Skills and Experiences
- Previous experience working within the finance department of a law / professional services firm, e.g. central finance administration, billing or revenue control
- Good level of technical ability in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Demonstrable knowledge of prior Firms' practice management system (PMS)
- "Can do" approach, including proactively completing tasks that may be outside general scope of duties or requests submitted to Local Hub.
- Strong organisational skills: able to plan and prioritise effectively in order to deliver high volume work or tasks to demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative and strong client focus, with a willingness to take ownership of tasks or provide solutions to issues that arise.
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken, and able to liaise across all areas within the firm.
- Behaves in a professional manner, and is personable and approachable at all times.
- Methodical approach, with high levels of attention to detail, providing work that is quality checked and complete.
- Team player, able to work well with others to achieve departmental or task specific goals.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willing to adjust priorities or working hours when necessary.
- Keen to learn new skills and willing to complete a broad range of tasks to develop or improved skills sets.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert