Senior Expertise Lawyer, Contentious Financial Services UK/EMEA
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Financial Services
- Experience Level
- 5+ yrs PQE
- Role Classification
In a changing world, our vision at Ashurst is to be a highly progressive global law firm. For over 200 years we have advised corporates, financial institutions and governments on their most complex transactions, disputes and projects. We offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets.
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We have more than 1,600 partners and lawyers across a network spanning Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. With 31 offices in over 20 countries and regions, and a number of referral relationships covering numerous time zones, we are able to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Ashurst regards an inclusive and diverse environment as critical to its business success. Accordingly, the firm encourages applications from candidates representative of all talent pools. Find out more about our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy on the "About Us" section of our website.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Over the past 5 years the CFSG team has become a core offering of the disputes practice serving many of the Firm's priority banking clients and key financial services clients of the Firm. Key clients are Goldman Sachs, Lloyds Banking Group, Nomura and the Royal Bank of Canada. The team conducts financial services litigation, contentious regulatory work and investigations, both internal and regulatory, and domestic and international in nature.
There are 5 partners and 25 associates in the group. We are continuing to expand and a further partner is joining in May 2023. This area is key to the Firm's 2027 strategy and it is an exciting team to be joining it.
The area is technical and ever changing. Our clients expect and demand that we are at the forefront of developments and they are kept apprised of events and changes.
In addition, we need to ensure that our people are trained well and are effective lawyers. This training needs to be delivered by someone who understands the area and understands banks.
We are looking for a part-time resource (3 days) based in London to focus on supporting the expertise, thought leadership and business development activities of the CFSG team in London and, in small part, EMEA.
The CFSG Expertise Lawyer would:
- support the CFSG partners in executing goals and strategy as set out in the 2027 business plan;
- organise and run the internal fundamentals training programme and other training required by the team, including liaising with external speakers;
- help plan and deliver client training (which is seen as a key value add to get our CFSG team in front of internal and external clients), including the delivery of webinars and podcasts;
- liaise with the BD teams to ensure a co-ordinated and global approach across the CFSG practice;
- drive forward expertise-led BD by helping to produce specialist client-facing materials including our Friday "thought for the week" and other LinkedIn publications;
- maintain and create internal know how and precedent sharing to help ensure cost effective and consistent delivery of quality work across the practice;
- ensure knowledge sharing within the team and cohesion through regular updates; and
- deal with queries.
Essential skills and experience:
- Senior Associate level England & Wales qualified Lawyer;
- A meaningful background in financial services law including some exposure to and familiarity with the leading global financial services institutions;
- A good level of familiarity with the FCA and PRA in their role as regulatory authorities;
- Excellent presentation skills; the candidate should be an able and engaging trainer;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Skilled at analysing complex legal issues to determine their practical impact and devising pragmatic commercial solutions; and
- The ability to adopt a proactive approach to assisting fee-earners and clients.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert