Corporate Crime & Investigations Associate
- DLA Piper
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Crime
- Experience Level
- 2-5yrs PQE
- Role Classification
At DLA Piper, we have a global client base and as part of the Litigation and Regulatory Group our Corporate Crime & Investigations team works internationally to support our clients both on a contentious and non-contentious advisory basis. We now have an opportunity for an Associate at between 2-5 years’ PQE to join this specialist team.
Being led by Partner Laura Ford the Corporate Crime Investigations & Financial Services Regulatory team in the UK is a sizeable team of specialist and highly skilled lawyers advising across cyber security, financial regulation and also on the investigation, defence and prosecution of a wide range of offences including fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering, criminal anti-competitive behaviour, consumer protection (Trading Standards) and dawn raids, plus the design and implementation of compliance programmes for a range of national and international clients.
The team works closely with the non-contentious regulatory cyber security/data protection team, and as a firm DLA Piper provides a market leading Global offering in this area.
You will support the team across the varied work streams allowing you to build your career in these specialist areas, but with a particular focus on corporate crime investigations and contentious cyber work. You will have the opportunity to assist in the embedding of DLA Piper as key and trusted business advisers.
This is your opportunity to become an integral member of DLA Piper’s Litigation and Regulatory Group and to assist with a broad range of high profile investigations and be involved in complex contentious cyber issues arising across the UK and internationally. You will work with our global team to drive change, open new opportunities and accelerate growth for both our clients and our people.
The role can be based in any of our UK offices but will also require travel to client sites and our other UK and international offices from time to time.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Candidates will have a broad range of work, that will include, but not be limited to:
- Advising clients in the course of serious and complex internal and external investigations, with a particular focus on bribery, fraud, money laundering and other financial crimes
- Advising on design and implementation of global compliance programmes, from risk assessment, to policy drafting, training and advising on oversight and monitoring.
- Advising on corporate self-reporting and responding to law enforcement and regulatory enquiries, including criminal law representation and defence.
- Advising multi-national clients on a range of cross-border cyber security incidents and global data breaches.
- Advise on all issues surrounding cyber security, from building cyber resilience, through to incident response, and post-incident remediation, providing a holistic and tailored client service.
We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies. We have however given an indicative PQE as an approximate guide for applicants. Candidates who are between 2- 5 years’ PQE are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to undertake this role. Candidates are expected to have:
- Be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister, ideally qualified in England & Wales or a Commonwealth jurisdiction;
- A strong financial regulatory / investigations / compliance experience gained at a leading regional or City firm;
- Experience of conducting internal investigations, exposure to AML, fraud, bribery, tax evasion, corporate due diligence are of significant interest;
- Ability or experience providing complex regulatory advice
- Ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of the technical issues that are key to our clients;
- Drafts documents using a commercial, client focused style;
- Complies with professional standards and all relevant regulatory obligations;
- Recognise and seize opportunities for the firm, including repeat business;
- Build and develop own network of internal and external contacts;
- Be commercially astute and stays current on key legal and business news;
- Have excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team-working;
- Be aware of business development initiatives in the department and identifies ways to contribute;
- Maintain a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure;
- Be proactive and innovative;
- Complies with the firm’s systems, policies and procedures in all matters – including compliance, financial systems and time recording; and
- Knows and understands how to best utilise information and research resources.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert