Banking & Finance Associate
- DLA Piper
- Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Banking & Finance
- Experience Level
- 2-5yrs PQE
- Role Classification
DLA Piper understands that you’re building a future and our priority is supporting you reach the full potential of your own personal career ambitions.
We are currently recruiting for an associate to join DLA Piper’s global Finance Group, to be based in Manchester. Our team advises lenders and borrowers on complex, high-value and high-profile financing transactions in the UK and internationally. The teamhas particular expertise in leveraged finance, corporate finance for PLC borrowers, real estate finance and asset-based lending (“ABL”).This role would be primarily to support our ABL practice area, but the successful candidate can also expect to work on transactions in the other Finance practice areas.Our Finance Group are a close-knit, collegiate team with an emphasis on developing talent and finding opportunities for our associates to stretch themselves.
Recent transactions include:
- Advising the borrower/sponsor on the negotiation of a 6-bank, £300m+ ABL facility to support a buyout in the healthcare/pharmaceutical sector
- Advising a 3 bank club with regards to the provision of a GBP135 million asset based financing facilities agreement in favour of a plant hire business
- Acting for a club of 4 lenders in relation to a new GBP130,000,000 (with a GBP70,000,000 accordion) multicurrency unsecured revolving credit facility provided to a PLC borrower
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
By joining one of the largest teams of dedicated finance lawyers in the world, you will receive support from Partners devoted to developing and achieving your goals. Candidates will enjoy a uniquely dynamic range of work, acting for borrowers and creditors at all levels of the capital structure. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Working on a broad range of Finance transactions including leveraged finance, corporate finance for PLC borrowers and real estate finance, but with a primary focus on ABL
- Representing lenders and borrowers in complex ABL and other finance transactions
- International deal exposure, advising regularly on cross border mandates alongside DLA Piper colleagues in other offices
- Involvement in drafting a wide range of Finance Documents, including credit agreements, intercreditor agreements and security documents
- Business development activities and contributing to client growth
- Opportunities to develop specialist sector knowledge
- Opportunities to work with Finance partners from across the UK, not just in your ‘home’ office
- Potential for client or interoffice secondments
We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies. We have however given an indicative PQE as an approximate guide for applicants. Candidates who have between 2 – 4 years’ PQE are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to successfully undertake this role.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a solicitor qualified (ideally) in England & Wales or a Commonwealth jurisdiction
- Have some experience within at least one of the practice areas mentioned above
- Demonstrate strong technical skills in transactional legal work, with an international awareness and focus to their work
- Have experience working across a variety of sectors
- Be willing to focus on ABL transactions, but also work in practice areas outside of thisspecialism in order to become a more rounded finance lawyer
- Be commercially astute and stay current on key legal and business news
- Have excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team-working
- Provide a professional, quality service in a timely manner, and respond effectively to requests from internal and external clients
- Understand the importance of positive client support
- Have some knowledge of lender and borrower requirements and approaches to transactions
- Be able to handle multiple priorities, working to sometimes conflicting timescales in a fastpaced and challenging environment
- Be able to build trust and rapport to develop effective relationships, internally and externally
- Be keen to get involved in business development (with the right support from Partners and colleagues)
- Comply with professional standards and all relevant regulatory obligations
- Comply with the firm’s systems, policies and procedures in all matters, including compliance, financial systems and time recording.
- Maintain a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure
- Be proactive and innovative
Experience of ABL transactions would be preferable but is not essential, as training will be provided
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert