Knowledge Development Lawyer (European Financial Regulatory)
- DLA Piper
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice, Solicitors – Professional Support
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Banking & Finance, Regulatory / Compliance, Financial Services
- Experience Level
- 5+ yrs PQE
- Role Classification
We pride ourselves on leveraging our collective knowledge and skills and training our teams to support the delivery of a high-quality service on major international financial regulatory assignments.
The firm’s International Knowledge strategy is delivered by Knowledge Professionals in collaboration with dedicated Knowledge Partners in a manner that is tailored to meet the needs of each Group and Sector.
We are looking for an experienced lawyer to join our International Knowledge Management team as a Knowledge Development Lawyer, reporting to Clare Semple, Head of Knowledge Management for Litigation & Regulatory and Philip Williams, Head of Knowledge – Finance, Projects & Restructuring and working closely with the partner leads and fee earner teams around Europe.
The role has a client facing element so would suit someone interested in keeping on top of hot topics and trends infinancial regulatory work. Whilst prior experience as a Professional Support or Knowledge Lawyer is desirable, this role would also suit someone with the appropriate background moving from a fee earning role into the Knowledge environment.
The purpose of the role is to:
- Help develop and deliver on the Knowledge strategy for the European Financial Regulatory team, in line with the firm's overarching Knowledgeapproach
- Enhance the quality of the team’s legal practice and to be a role model for technical knowledge, skill and advisory techniques in the Group.
- Monitor the various EU regulatory developments in the financial services sector and assist the local offices on EU requirements and advice
- Ensure greater collaboration across the FS regulatory teams, with more of a joined-up approach to clients and know-how
- Champion the firm's vision for Knowledge across the Group
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role will involve:
- Identifying, developing, and maintaining the knowledge resources required for the practice to deliver high quality services to its clients efficiently, such as standard and example documents, technical advice memos and practical know-how guidance
- Ensuring that lawyers are kept aware of legal, regulatory, and commercial developments and providing analysis of the impact of significant developments and how they will affect the practice’s business and its clients. In particular:
-Providing regulatory expertise and horizon-scanning, to keep the team up to date with changes to EUwide directives, providing guidance to the fee-earners on regulations, changes, and the implications for technical standards with some implementation at a local-level; and
- Setting up monitoring of the various files (at the level of the Commission, Council and Parliament) on EU legislation (Directives and Regulations) on the financial sector, as well as the proposals for Regulatory Standards from the EU financial services authorities (EBA, ESMA and EIOPA), and relevant documents issued by other EU authorities like the ECB and production of periodic reports on the status of each relevant file and document
- Working closely with our Business Development team, associates, and partners to support research and current awareness needs of clients (such as participating in horizon scanning, producing bespoke client updates and delivering training to clients and relevant associations) and developing a client facing horizon scanning product
- Ensuring relevant legal technical training for the team is in place, which will include preparing and updating training materials, delivery of some training sessions, and supporting fee earners to deliver training
- Working closely with the central Knowledge Services team to ensure the practice has access to the external databases and information resources it needs
- Capturing and promoting sharing of expertise, mandates and feedback from lawyers
- Working with the professionals in our Cross Operational Group (including Process Improvement, Legal Project Management, Legal Technology, IT, Electronic Data Management, Resource Management and Business
- Development) to help develop and promote best practice in legal disputes process and in use of disputes tools and technology.
- Sharing knowledge best practice and training internationally
- Attending external training conferences to keep up to date with relevant developments in the law, business
- environment and Knowledge
- Excellent technical academic credentials and broad in-depth relevant practical experience
- Experience in financial services regulatory work
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to connect, influence and collaborate in a multi-cultural environment across multiple geographies
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organised and able to co-ordinate and deliver projects
- Experience of developing knowledge resources and delivering training desirable
- Experience in authoring client facing publications desirable
We would be pleased to consider applications from individuals either currently working in practice or already working in a
Professional Support Lawyer or Knowledge Lawyer role.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help clients with their legal needs around the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality and value to our clients, and we achieve this through practical and innovative legal solutions that help our clients succeed.
We’re proud to serve an international client base that includes more than half of the Fortune 250 and nearly half of the FTSE 350 companies. We help the world's top companies with their business-critical issues. Many of the deals we work on are complex and challenging – transcending not just practice areas, but borders, languages and legal systems. With offices throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we represent more clients in a broader range of geographies and practice disciplines than virtually any other law firm in the world. Our lawyers have wide experience in arbitration, banking, competition and trade, as well as corporate crime and corporate finance. We have strong practices in employment, energy, hospitality and leisure, insurance, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions and have developed key teams in pensions, private equity, real estate, tax, and technology
As a firm we are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive culture for all of our people, where differences are genuinely valued. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
- +44 (0)20 7349 0296
160 Aldersgate Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert