Business Development Manager (Ashurst Advance)
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Business Development, Business development
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com
This role is responsible for supporting our business development efforts for our 'NewLaw' Division, within EMEA. The Business Development Manager is responsible for working with the leadership team to support the development and execution of the Ashurst Advance strategic Business Development plan and for managing the effective execution of the go-to-market-strategy.
This role requires taking ownership of developing a clear understanding of our clients, internal and external, and their strategies, challenges and opportunities to ensure we are furthering our relationships for Ashurst Advance across senior client decision makers. To be successful, a strong understanding of a traditional law firm offering, practice group 'products' and 'NewLaw' products is essential.
Ashurst Advance is Ashurst's full service market-leading NewLaw offering, delivering innovative and holistic legal and business solutions across five core NewLaw capabilities: Advanced Delivery, Legal Managed Services, Digital, Legal Operations and Flexible Resourcing.
Advanced Delivery: We utilise a powerful combination of cost-effective resourcing, technology and process design to drive efficiencies and cost savings in high volume, process and data driven matters.
Legal Managed Services: Our offering acts as an extension of your in-house legal team, delivering efficient, quality assured solutions, enabling you to focus on core strategic work.
Digital: We deploy technology and user design principles to streamline legal processes, optimise the delivery of legal services and transform legal data into legal outcomes.
Legal Operations: Our project management and process experts assist in the management of large or complex matters, re-engineer work streams to ensure efficiency and assist in reimagining your legal service delivery.
Flexible Resourcing: We provide contract legal professionals across a wide range of levels and specialities when and where you need them through Ashurst Advance Reach.
At Ashurst Advance, we work seamlessly with the firm's legal advisory and consulting experts to help solve your most complex legal and business challenges, leveraging the latest in digital tools and process design to ensure the highest levels of quality and efficiency.
Strategy & Planning
- Work with the Ashurst Advance leadership and global BD team to develop the BD strategy to maximise opportunities to grow revenue in line with the firm's 2023 strategic plan and beyond
- Develop and lead strategic initiatives to meet the Division's strategic goals, evaluating progress on implementation
- Provide market information and analysis of financials and client insights to identify trends and opportunities to raise our profile and awareness in key markets.
- Support the promotion of Ashurst Advance products and services and the management, retention, growth and development of an Ashurst Advance client network amongst our Priority Clients, utilising best practice and key account management strategies
- Support increased engagement with the Ashurst Advance client network, through identifying and following up on opportunities for growing revenue
- Engage with the Client Listening programme by conducting and capturing client feedback through client listening, matter and pitch debriefs
- Manage and support the entire opportunity pursuit process, including identifying opportunities, managing tracking processes, preparing client-focused sales collateral and coordinating partners around pipelines
- Manage strategic programme of practice and industry group engagement, including collaboration with CRMs and BDMs to identify cross-selling opportunities
- Provide strategic advice on Ashurst Advance pitches, supporting the Bids team as required, with a particular focus on those involving Priority Clients
- Manage and develop excellent BD and marketing content which reflects the division's strengths and capabilities across a wide range of integrated NewLaw solutions, including placemats, boiler plate, case studies, credentials and best practice pitch materials
- Develop and implement integrated campaigns, thought leadership, events and other market facing activities, working collaboratively with the firm's specialist teams, to raise our profile in key markets
- Develop and manage the Ashurst Advance BD budget, monitoring spend and capturing ROI
- Maintain good knowledge of Ashurst Advance products and services and keep up to date with advances in cutting edge digital innovation
- Share knowledge across the wider BD&M team and contribute to functional and firm-wide training programmes
- Contribute to the delivery of growth targets and client KPIs for Ashurst Advance as set by the Division Head.
- Manage more junior members of the team, supporting their career development and ensuring performance is in line with expectations
- Contribute to the internal and external communications strategy for Ashurst Advance including the Social Media plan
Drive integration and engagement with other practice groups and lines of service
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- An understanding of legal practices, products and the legal competitive landscape, gained from previous experience within the legal sector
- Demonstrates a strong knowledge and understanding of the changing legal market, including new and alternative legal service providers and the influence of legal technology
- Significant front line Business Development experience - ideally, will have worked within in a law firm or professional services environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with polite, friendly and diplomatic manner
- Demonstrable communication/presentation skills, previous presentational experience at a senior level within large organisations
- Ability to articulate and convey complex information in a clear and compelling manner in writing and in person
- Commercially minded, numerate and comfortable in discussions with senior stakeholders about financial matters, including pricing and profitability
- Good knowledge of how cutting edge technology can be applied in the legal field and how process and technology can be translated into efficiency opportunities in clients' teams
- Excellent negotiation skills
- The ability to generate ideas
- The ability to prioritise and manage several different tasks at once
Due to the fast-paced and evolving nature of the division, a flexible approach is essential
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert