UK Tax Consultant (15 month contract)
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Finance, Tax
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently seeking an experienced UK Tax Consultant to join our London based Finance team on a 14 month fixed term contract. As a UK Tax Consultant you will be responsible for the management of the UK tax compliance affairs of the individual partners of Allen & Overy (A&O), on both an accurate and timely basis, including accounting for tax reserves and tax payments. You will also be involved in the preparation and review of the finance related aspects of partner contracts including expatriate assignments, new partners (including lateral hires) and retiring partners. General experience of entity level and indirect tax would also be useful.
Role and responsibilities
UK Tax Compliance
- Preparing the taxable profit allocation schedules for the partners' UK tax filings, tax calculations and estimates of payments.
- Liaising with external advisers and HMRC, in order to provide information for inclusion on personal tax returns and dealing with partner queries.
- Responsible for the UK composite tax return filing for non-UK resident partners (and individual returns where required) including coordination of tax payments and liaising with HMRC to manage tax liabilities and payments.
- Discussing with individual partners their UK tax affairs.
- Liaising with partners' pension advisers, including (where relevant) the provision of partner earning.
- Involvement in annual budgeting process including tax payment cash flow calculations.
- Involvement in year end work processes, including the calculation of the UK tax reserve figures and the UK tax reliefs.
- Ongoing management of the partners’ UK tax reserves including allocation of payments, reconciliation and subsequent clear-out.
Partner joiner, mover and retiree processes. Includes assistance with:
- Maintain an effective and efficient joining and leaving process
- Point of contact for Partners Matter Unit (PMU)
- Preparation of cash flow projections for new partner hires and review of associated appointment agreements
- Preparation of partner retirement calculations, review of associated retirement agreements, processing retirement payment and posting journals in a timely manner
- Preparation of ad hoc management reports/cash flow projections to facilitate decision-making.
- Support the partnership capital process.
- Support other areas of the Partner Finance & UK Entity Tax teams as and when required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to liaise effectively with staff based in other offices (such as other members of the Partners’ tax team based in Belfast, and international A&O offices) as well as Partners and external advisers.
- Enthusiastic, pro-active, persistent, robust, commitment to "getting the job done".
- Excellent bookkeeping skills.
- Able to work effectively using own initiative and as part of a team and contribute to the development of more junior staff.
- Strong numeracy and IT skills, including knowledge of Windows, Excel, and Word and the ability to adapt to using unfamiliar software packages. Particular emphasis is placed on experience of Excel.
- Strong time management skills - ability to multi-task, prioritise, manage and critically review large volumes of data.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to provide a high level of 'client service'.
Qualified CTA or ATT preferable.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert