Financial Institutions Group - Associate
- Slaughter and May
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 14 May 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Solicitors – Private Practice
- Contract Type
- Practice Area
- Banking & Finance, Financial Services
- Experience Level
- 0-2yrs PQE, 2-5yrs PQE, 5+ yrs PQE
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise on high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, delivering innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart if the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
“For any transaction that involves some element of novelty or innovation, Slaughter and May are one of our first ports of call.” – Chambers and Partners
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for an Associate to join our leading Financial Institutions Group, which works across legal specialisms to service a range of clients in financial sectors, chiefly:
• Challenger banks and fintech
• Asset managers
Associates joining will experience a truly varied workload, advising on a full range of corporate, financing, and regulatory matters in the UK and globally. You will work with leading financial clients on some of the most complex or novel legal matters conducted in the UK, and experience precedence-setting in action as your advice influences multi-million pound deals.
The Financial Institutions Group (“FIG”) is a cross-stream group comprising Partners and fee earners from our Corporate, Financing and Financial Regulation teams who support the firm’s financial institution clients.
As an associate you will work closely with a range of partners across the multi-specialist group, giving you the opportunity to see a wide range of working styles and strategic approaches. As our working approach leads to more regular client contact and involvement in their business interests, you will be in a position to build very strong client relationships from a very early stage with some of the largest and most prestigious organisations in the world.
The role includes all the advantages of working for a large firm, but in a small, friendly department, with the opportunity to receive regular feedback.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. You may be required on occasion to work outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
• Advising on the legal and commercial aspects of a wide range of Corporate or Financial Regulatory matters with a range of financial clients. This may include:
o Challenger banks and fintech
o Asset managers
• Drafting, reviewing and amending the legal and commercial aspects of documentation
• Advising on the legal and commercial aspects of the full range of equity-related capital market transactions including initial public offerings and equity-related secondary issues and offering
• Ability to advise on the legal and commercial aspects of all private equity work
• Providing efficient professional support for partners
• Developing professional relationships with clients
• Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
• Broad exposure across a range of high value commercial and corporate transactions
• Ability to draft, advise and negotiate in relation to complex transactions
• First rate legal/commercial knowledge Excellent client relationship skills
• Excellent efficiency and transaction management skills
• Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
• Strong academic background and a demonstrable, high level of intellectual analysis
• Resilient under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
• Experienced in running negotiations/meetings under minimal supervision
• High level of professionalism and integrity
Candidates for this position must:
A strong academic background with a demonstrable intellectual ability and lateral thinking skills
A strong interest and knowledge of the global financial markets, and particularly the UK
A strong legal background working with financial clients on financing, corporate, or financial regulatory matters
A strong ability to draft, advise, and negotiate in relation to complex
transactions and cases, identifying and explaining key technical issues commercially and succinctly
Excellent client relationship skills, with the ability to run meetings and negotiations
Resilience under pressure, strong organisational skills and the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
High levels of professionalism and integrity
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise on high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions and on contentious matters delivering bespoke solutions to clients for over 130 years.
We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
Across our four offices in London, Brussels, Beijing and Hong Kong we have 109 partners and over 1300 employees worldwide. We make sure we have the finest lawyers in the market and train them to the highest standards. This means our clients always get advice which is clear, confident and commercial, but also advice which guides and leads them towards a recommended solution.
We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader.
- +44 (0)20 7600 1200
One Bunhill Row
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert