- Glasgow, Glasgow City
- Closing date
- 29 Mar 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Other specialist roles, Risk Management
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com
Working as part of our Global Risk & Compliance Department, the Conflicts & Ethics Team is responsible for analysing all new clients and matters to identify and resolve legal and commercial "conflicts of interest".
The role is ideally suited to an individual with a clear and confident communication style, and a desire to work collaboratively with a dynamic and motivated team. The successful candidate will have a keen eye for detail and an interest in current affairs. A legal qualification is not essential, but problem solving and professionalism are key.
Your Glasgow-based team will join colleagues across Brisbane, London, Sydney, and New Zealand working together to provide conflicts clearance as our Partners and clients pursue the most exciting deals on offer across the globe.
Hours of work
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, working 7.5 hours a day, between the hours of 06:00 - 21:00, on a flexible working pattern.
Core hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 5:30pm, with flexibility required to support business need.
You may be required to work additional hours to meet specific deadlines and/or facilitate project implementation.
Business as usual:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the rules of professional conduct applicable in the UK and across the countries in which Ashurst lawyers practice.
- Use your research skills to identify and verify clients, third parties and assets involved in new business requests.
- Develop and apply your understanding of legal transactions to determine the relationships between parties involved in a particular matter; and if in doubt, liaise with the partners and lawyers.
- Analyse information in the firm's conflict management systems and other databases to identify any potential conflicts of interest.
- Work collaboratively with team members and Senior Management to find solutions to potential legal and commercial conflicts.
- Record excellent phone notes, legal and commercial analysis to serve as a record of compliance for our insurers, regulators and firm management.
- Maintain the highest standards of data quality within the conflicts database.
- Work across function groups (Finance, HR, IT, Business Development) to tackle projects and solve problems.
- Take advantage of our continuous professional development opportunities and carefully planned career development.
- Assist in preparing and delivering training and other compliance education sessions for the business.
Essential skills and experience:
- An interest in the work undertaken by a corporate multinational firm.
- A desire to understand the business and work closely as a team to solve problems.
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong IT literacy and the ability to adapt to new processes and technology quickly.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to engage all levels of legal and support staff.
- The discretion required to maintain confidential information appropriately.
Desired skills and experience
- Good judgement and business awareness.
- Use of legal, business search engines and databases.
- Working knowledge of Compliance Databases.
Education/Qualification (or relevant experience):
- We welcome applicants from both law and non-law disciplines.
- Experience in a law firm or large corporation is preferable but not essential.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst is a leading international law firm with world class capability and a prestigious global client base. The firm's in-depth understanding of its clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service has seen it become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments on all areas of commercial law. The firm's people are its greatest asset and it brings together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice clients need.
Ashurst has 25 offices in 15 countries and offers the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 400 partners and 1,200 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, the firm is able to respond to clients wherever and whenever required. As a global team, Ashurst has a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients.
- +44 20 7638 1111
London Fruit & Wool Exchange
1 Duval Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert