Senior BD Manager - IP & Technology Transactions
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 29 Mar 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Business Development, Business development
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Senior Manager, Manager
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently recruiting for a Senior BD Manager - IP & Technology Transactions to join our Marketing team on a permanent basis.
Provide strategic business development advice, practical marketing support and financial and operational support to a significant international practice group. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced business development professional to take a lead role in the management of the Intellectual Property practice group globally. The role will also take specific responsibility for supporting our technology transactions lawyers being part of the senior BD team driving our technology vertical. Importantly, this role will also be expected to fully support and drive change within the BD team around continuous improvement to the value of our BD service platform, role clarity and focus. The role has line management responsibility for a small team.
- Global Head of IP
- Partners and fee earners in the IP practice group
- Global Head of Sector BD
- Peers in the wider business development, marketing and communications team.
Role and responsibilities
- Use an understanding of the field of intellectual property and a knowledge of IP-rich industries such as technology and life sciences to identify new business development opportunities and then formulate tactical plans to seize these opportunities.
- Business development strategy planning for the IP and technology transactions practices, based on the objectives set in relevant business plans, which in broad terms defines the future marketing activities for each financial year.
- Play a client-facing role supporting partners in the management of key client relationships and in new business development opportunities. This will range from strategic advice to practical support on pitches, presentations and meetings and trips.
- Ensure that the business development activities undertaken by partners are likely to help us improve our financial performance through influencing decisions on where effort is expended, together with driving post activity de-briefs.
- Own, co-ordinate, track, manage and promote key global or multi-jurisdictional campaigns and activities, including liaison with external providers (events, sponsorships, awards etc.) to maximize ROI. This will include several large internal and external annual or bi-annual set pieces for which you will be responsible – drawing on the firm’s wider resources.
- Look for proactive opportunities to raise the profile of the firm's IP and tech capabilities to both our internal and external audiences.
- Develop and implement pitch and matter debriefs including interviewing clients to assess the quality or otherwise of their experience. Make recommendations to partners based on the findings from these meetings.
- Develop strong relationships with partners across the firm who have an IP or tech element to their practice.
- Directly manage the business development team members in London supporting IP and technology transactions/commercial team monitoring progress on tasks to ensure the efficient delivery of proposals and other marketing programmes and providing coaching and mentoring to develop the individuals.
- Coordinate, coach and mentor those fulfilling these BD roles in other geographies.
- Liaise and work with other members of the BD team and other support teams (eg Know How/Finance/HR) to improve the co-ordination of activities across the firm, both in London and internationally.
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (preferably within a professional services organisation, where the individual frequently worked with senior management).
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global IP/technology market/practice (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous IP or tech transactions market experience would be desirable.
- Experience in selling concepts and presenting to management teams.
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives and using this experience to assess people and financial resources required for specific projects.
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers.
- A proactive approach, creativity and tenacity
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional in outlook and attitude.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of managers, executives and assistants.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan, anticipate workload of the team and manage others’ time efficiently, balances conflicting priorities and does not over-commit team and themselves – always manages expectations.
- This role would suit someone who thrives in a matrix environment and can take a 360 view across the firm to best exploit opportunities and also leverage the expertise of colleagues in the wider function.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert