BD Manager - Global Experts and Markets
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 29 Mar 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Business Development, Business development
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently recruiting for a BD Manager (Global Experts & Markets) to join our Marketing department on a permanent basis.
We have BD teams embedded in, and dedicated to supporting, the global practice and sector groups; we also have centralised global functions and this role supports the Global Experts & Markets (GEM) function.
This role will lead on the day-to-day business development support for specific markets: Canada, the Nordics and Israel. The role will involve working closely with the Country Heads (dedicated partners) to promote and reinforce our efforts in those countries where we do not have an office. Key responsibilities include working with the Country Heads on their strategic business development plans; client development plans; management of the relationships with our local counsel firms; assisting on pitches and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities; supporting partners in preparation for client visits; managing the process of experience collection, credentials and CVs; and other ad-hoc business development support.
The role requires both a strategic perspective and a "hands-on" approach to marketing and BD. Being adept at achieving results through collaboration and influence will be essential to success.
- Senior Manager – Global Experts & Markets
- Country Heads and the members of the BD team supporting GMs
- Operations Manager – Global Experts & Markets
- The senior members of the global marketing function
Role and responsibilities
- Business planning and implementation - lead the planning process with Country Heads to develop challenging and growth strategies for the three GMs identified (Canada, the Nordics and Israel). Leading efforts with Country Heads to develop relationships externally and internally to further raise our profile and share of work.
- Relationship Management – lead relationship management efforts with key independent law firms in the jurisdictions identified alongside Country Heads. Responsibilities will include maintaining and reporting on referral activity, face-to-face meetings at the time of the GEMCon, development of joint client targeting efforts and man-marking.
- Client account management – development, maintenance and reporting on a focused client care programme for the major clients from the specified GMs. Work with Country Heads and international partners to develop an international co-ordinated client targeting / client care programme. Using market research and intelligence to identify new client or market targeting opportunities, recommend new business development ideas and suitable actions, and work with the partners responsible to make them happen. The role would also be responsible for the management of at least one cross-departmental, cross-office client. Previous experience of CRM is essential.
- Proposals – take the lead role in preparing cross-practice proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for GEM proposals. Coach partners on their presentations and encourage the teams to follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant GEM expertise. Work with colleagues to capture client feedback proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
- Market and client research – spotting business opportunities for the Global Markets (GM), whether on particular deals or relationship building with key clients. Capturing market intelligence and sharing with the relevant teams. Recognised as the ‘go-to’ BD contact for identified GMs.
- Internal communications – encourage sharing of market/client intelligence (eg pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates. Sharing of best practice and successes across the GMs and wider BD community as well as support on the development of materials for the internal and external webpages. Lead on the delivery of the annual financial reporting for the GMs, working with finance and Global Partners to compile and draft firm-wide communications on the financial performance of the Group.
- Campaign management – work with BD colleagues, the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas. Lead on the delivery of the submissions to directories/league tables – liaising with global BD and partners to compile and finalise submissions.
- GEM projects & initiatives – working with the wider GEM team on GEMCon, IBA, Academy and supporting other markets where capacity and need permit e.g. supporting the team with Africa, India etc.
- Relevant marketing experience (preferably within a professional services organisation), where the individual will have frequently worked with Partners.
- Proven experience in CRM, pitching and budget management is essential.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the firm’s capabilities, markets and competition.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers.
- A proactive approach, creativity and tenacity
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert