Senior Analyst - Conflicts
- Allen & Overy LLP
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 20 Mar 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Other specialist roles, Risk Management
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Officer / Analyst / Engineer / Executive / Coordinator
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
We are currently recruiting someone with relevant experience working within a conflicts team to join our London or Belfast office Business Acceptance Unit as a Senior Analyst. This role would be expected to work from 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday to Friday.
The role of the Business Acceptance Unit (BAU) is:
- to process requests from partners for A&O to accept new legal matters including, in particular, performing anti-money laundering and background checks on new clients and performing conflicts checks (within internal databases) on each new matter (for both new and existing clients);
- to obtain from relevant lawyers required evidence of identity for new clients (and existing clients for whom the practice has done no work in the preceding two years and whose ownership or control may therefore have changed in the intervening period);
- to screen and, where requested, send conflict search emails (containing information on new legal matters) to all partners and to monitor responses, analyse search results and, in consultation with the originating lawyers, determine whether or not the new legal matter is clear of conflicts and appropriate for the practice to take on;
- to authorise the opening of new legal matters when checks have been completed and any issues or problems satisfactorily resolved;
- to facilitate resolution of legal conflict issues in consultation, where appropriate, with A&O senior management;
- to facilitate resolution of business conflict issues in consultation with relevant partners/senior lawyers including, if necessary, A&O senior management;
- to determine the need for information barriers to enhance the internal security of information and to facilitate them being established to meet the requirements of the situation;
- to intervene (where needed) to direct the required levels of matter/virtual file security within the A&O virtual filing system;
- to receive, monitor and (where appropriate) keep a central record of terms of engagement agreed with clients, to remind lawyers of the need to ensure that the terms of our engagements are clear and documented and to advise lawyers on unusual/non-standard terms and on aspects of the firm's engagement terms policy; and
- to deal with business acceptance queries (including conflicts and anti-money laundering ID queries).
Role and responsibilities
- Assisting BAU Managers in the Conflicts team with monitoring workload and allocating work to the global Conflicts team.
- Identifying and taking responsibility for those conflict searches which require more detailed analysis;
- Providing input on team processes and suggesting improvements to the same, including helping to develop internal databases and evaluate databases of information for use in conducting regulatory checks and searches during business acceptance process.
- Assisting with suggestions for enhancement and development of the conflicts database (Intapp).
- Providing a point of guidance for the Conflicts team with regard to their work and assisting them in referring unresolved queries and issues “up chain” where required.
- Taking responsibility for individual matter inception request submitted via business acceptance system and then monitoring the progress of such requests to conclusion (using workflow technology).
- Analysing the information submitted by fee-earners in matter inception requests.
- Applying relevant laws, regulations and A&O compliance policy to matter inception requests covering varied and wide-ranging work types.
- Performing relevant database searches to satisfy A&O’s regulatory requirements (e.g. in relation to conflicts of interest and anti-money laundering).
- Liaising with relevant fee-earners and with support departments such as Finance and Business Development at appropriate stages of the business acceptance process.
- Applying judgement and decision-making in relation to individual matter inception requests and spotting, if needed, then referring any issues “up chain”.
- Providing guidance to the Conflicts Analyst team with regard to any more complex conflicts issues, including dealing with queries and issues referred “up chain” by Analysts.
- Dealing with queries and issues referred by fee earners and support departments.
- Developing knowledge and experience of existing global regulatory requirements relevant to business acceptance.
- Assisting in monitoring globally legal and other departments in the area of business acceptance and applying these to A&O’s business.
- Assisting in upgrading A&O’s business acceptance policies, processes and systems where needed in response to developments.
- Providing reports and updates of items on work list as required.
- Assisting in monitoring service levels of unit (e.g. speed of responses and quality of decision-making).
- Undertaking administration duties including record maintenance as required.
- Being flexible in undertaking the above responsibilities and any others so required.
- Relevant experience working within a Conflicts team is essential.
- Strong analytical skills are essential.
- Possesses a good understanding of legal business, transactions, applicable rules and impact on work of a business acceptance unit.
- Has some supervisory experience and experience of confidently supporting an Analyst team in meeting day-to-day objectives.
- Proven competency in prioritising client demands.
- Attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and manage conflicting deadlines at speed.
Flexibility regarding working hours may be an advantage.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. We work on some of the most challenging and important deals and have built a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that help our clients grow, innovate and thrive. The legal industry is changing, and we're committed to leading that change, putting our people first, embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work. Our business teams work hand-in-hand with our lawyers, Consultants and other specialist teams, and are ambitious, driven and leaders in their field.
With us, you will constantly be learning and growing. We invest in you by offering exceptional professional and personal development – providing training, mentoring and practical support. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional goals, recognising that those may look different for everyone.
We have a powerful commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We’re determined to play our part in advancing a workplace where progress is made by harnessing our differences – whatever defines you, we ask you to bring your whole self to work.
What truly defines a career at Allen & Overy? We recruit the best and ask for the best of you. We provide challenge, support and a place for you to belong. And together we excel, working on meaningful projects of global significance.
With over 5,600 people in over 40 offices, Allen & Overy is a business doing work of global significance.
Our success is built on the work of talented and motivated people who thrive in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We’re ambitious and forward-thinking, committed to growing our business and meeting the future head-on. We’re not afraid of change, and we believe in challenging the status quo.
What we do goes beyond delivering an outstanding service. We lead the market by creating new solutions for our clients’ most complex legal and business challenges, helping them grow, innovate and thrive. By thinking creatively and entrepreneurially, we challenge expectations, push boundaries and build for the future. We draw on a world-leading network of expertise and a unique platform – such as our Advanced Delivery services and our network of Peerpoint consultants, to set the highest standards for our industry.
Global coverage in today’s market does not simply mean having offices in important cities around the world. For us, it means combining our global resources and sector expertise to work on matters that cross international boundaries with our culturally and geographically diverse teams. For you, it means that wherever you work, you’ll find a culture of inclusion and support – feeling confident to bring your whole self to work every single day. We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. At A&O, you're not only valued for what you do, but for who you are.
We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
- +44 (0) 20 3088 0000
One Bishops Square
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert