- Trowers & Hamlins
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 22 Mar 2023
- Vacancy Type
- Other specialist roles
- Contract Type
- Experience Level
- Role Classification
- Other Professional
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East.
We’ve always been proud of our natural commitment to diversity and inclusion and value the variety of our partnership. We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. Our strategic direction is shaped by a desire to grow our business in a way that is responsible and sustainable and has the principles of ESG at its core, guiding the way we operate firmwide.
The purpose and primary responsibility of the role is to develop and oversee the implementation of the firm's sustainability strategy to support its trajectory to net zero by 2050. This is an exciting and newly created position, with the firm being currently supported by external consultants who are leaders in the Legal Sector and founders of the Legal Sustainability Alliance. Additionally you will be supported by the firms Facilities Management Team (based in London) and will work closely with the Strategy Team in terms of reporting to the Management Committee and Strategy Board.
What you'll do
- Develop practical tools, initiatives, and processes to reduce the environmental impacts of the firm’s operations.
- Work alongside the firm's sustainability consultants to manage the audit assurance and reporting of the firm's carbon emissions.
- Monitor and report progress against strategic objectives and targets.
- Guide the firm's sustainability committees, office managers and other key internal stakeholders to deliver on environmental objectives.
- Monitor environmental legislation, industry standards and best practice to ensure policies are updated and deployed to manage risk.
- Organise and facilitate relevant training aligned to emerging sustainability themes.
What you'll need
- Expert knowledge of key sustainability issues gained through academic studies or proven experience in a similar role and (ideally) within a professional service environment.
- Understanding of scope 3 emissions (with the support of business services teams)
- Professional qualification/membership of a relevant professional institution, such as IEMA.
- Experience working in multiple jurisdictions across different time zones (desired).
- Ability and confidence to build strong relationships and influence people at all levels of the business.
- Experience managing a fast and varied workload, including project and budget management.
- Experience working with external suppliers and organisations.
- Excellent communications skills and attention to detail.
- Flexibility to travel within the UK and possibly overseas to our international offices
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff located across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
- +44 (0)20 7423 8000
3 Bunhill Row
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert